copyright ? display of crystal structures from atomiccoordinates

Mark Winter M.Winter at Sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 13:11:46 BST 2000

>  >>> "Rzepa, Henry" <h.rzepa at ic.ac.uk> 29/06/2000 10:33:20 >>>
>>  ...I cannot bring myself to believe that if say Chapman  and Hall wish to
>>produce a Dictionary of Organic  Compounds in which they cite
>>a melting point, they have to seek permission from every original author
>>of the article which cites it.
>
>Neither can I, so there must be something in what you say. But most
>original authors don't own the copyright - as you should know, they
>sign it away to the publisher on the copyright transfer form they
>sign for every paper. The journal publisher usually holds copyright
>in published work, not the original author.

An interesting point given that, so far as I know, many academic
authors are not actually authorised by their employers to sign that
copyright away in the first place. It's also interesting that, when
the work is publicly funded, that the work is given away to the
journal for nothing, who then charge the public for reading about the
work sponsored by the public in the first place. But I digress.

--
Dr Mark J Winter (Director of Studies)
Department of Chemistry, The University, Sheffield S3 7HF, England
  e-m: mark.winter at sheffield.ac.uk
http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/staff/mjw/mark-winter.html

WebElements is the periodic table on the world-wide web:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/web-elements/ or
http://www.webelements.com/

The Sheffield Chemdex is a listing of chemistry sites on the world-wide web:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/chemdex/ or
http://www.chemdex.org/

chemweb: A list for Chemical Applications of the Internet.
To post to list:  mailto:chemweb at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/chemweb/
(un)subscribe chemweb
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)