[chemweb] Molecule of the Month - May

Paul May paul.may at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 14:32:28 BST 2004

Hi,

May's Molecule of the Month is osmium tetroxide, which gained notoriety
a couple of weeks ago in the Uk media as it was implicated as the possible
chemical
component in a terrorist 'dirty bomb'. The MOTM page shows that OsO4 has a
good side too, in that it is used by chemists for a variety of useful
applications.

It has been written by Dr Mike Thompson of Uppingham School, Rutland, and
is available in many different formats.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/motm.htm#may2004

Regards,
Dr Paul May, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK
tel: +44 (0)117 928-9927      fax: +44 (0)117 925-1295
<mailto:paul.may at bris.ac.uk>  Mobile: 07811371539
Home URL: <http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/staff/pwm.htm>
Molecule of the Month: <http://www.bristol.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/motm.htm>
Bumper sticker: "Where are we going?   And why are we in this hand-basket?"