[klee-dev] Compiling without sources

Daniel Liew daniel.liew at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 14 20:48:25 BST 2014

On 14 May 2014 19:36, Alex <programmer at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> hey,
>
> following the instructions at http://klee.llvm.org/GetStarted.html, it
> tells me I need to do:
>
> ./configure --with-llvm=path/to/llvm --with-stp=path/to/stp/install
>
> to me it looks like path/to/llvm is a path to llvm sources. If I do not
> provide it, it uses the output of llvm-config --src-root
>
> However, I installed llvm 3.3 from the fedora package repository, using
> yum. So the src-root is /builddir/build/BUILD/llvm-3.3.src, which does
> not exist on my machine.

Yes you have probably only have the binaries and header files. KLEE's
**very** unfortunately doesn't support being built in this way.

> I can compile my own projects against llvm using  `llvm-config
> --cflags`, `llvm-config --cxxflags`, `llvm-config --libs` in my
> Makefiles. Can I compile klee in a similiar fashion?

Not properly no. The build system is a bit of a mess (piggy-backing
off another build system is just plain nasty). There are instructions
for doing this for Ubuntu in the pipeline [1] but long story short I
would like to switch to CMake because of the many benefits it offers.
I just don't have the time to do this right now.

[1] https://github.com/klee/klee/pull/118