[klee-dev] (Re)implementing a randomized fork

Sean Heelan sean.heelan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:25:05 GMT 2017

Hi Chengyu,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately that won't help when running in batched execution mode, in
which state selection is only triggered at intervals. So, while random
state selection would achieve the desired post-fork randomness when used
alone, I would guess that any benefit would be offset by the fact that
random state selection as a strategy works rather poorly in comparison to
batching + code coverage + random path.

To be more clear about what I'm trying to solve: when running in batched
execution mode if the following function is triggered multiple times then
it will fork at the `if`, and always take the `return -1`. What I would
like is for there to be equal probability of hitting the code after the if
within foo. Given infinite time and resources and a perfectly functioning
code coverage based heuristic you could say "Oh, but that path will
eventually be scheduled", but those 3 assumptions don't hold in practice
and on all programs. For this reason, introducing some variance in the
forking strategy would be quite useful (in practice I am seeing this
pattern quite frequently preventing code being hit that I know contains
bugs).

```
void foo(int x) { // assume x is symbolic
    if (x) {
       return -1;
    }

    .... // do other stuff
}
```

As a side note, obviously if the function has multiple branches then in
order to achieve an equal probability of each branch target being hit then
we'd need to weight the probability of earlier edges which exit the
function being weighted lower than ones which don't, but I'd settle for
50/50 probability to begin with =)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Chengyu Zhang <dale.chengyu.zhang at gmail.com