[klee-dev] How to use the max-time flag

Shaheen Cullen-Baratloo shaheen at gmail.com
Fri May 22 22:47:28 BST 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to run klee on a compiled bytecode version of the coreutils,
somewhat replicating the experiment that klee did a while back.

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to use the --max-time flag.

When I run this command, it takes around 3 minutes, despite the max-time
being 10 seconds:

klee --optimize --libc=uclibc --posix-runtime --max-time 10s ./echo.bc
--sym-args 0 1 10 --sym-args 0 2 2 --sym-files 1 8 --sym-stdin 8
--sym-stdout

When I run this command, it takes around 3 seconds. The command is
identical, except for the fact that the filename and the --max-time flag
are switched.

klee --optimize --libc=uclibc --posix-runtime --max-time 10s ./echo.bc
--sym-args 0 1 10 --sym-args 0 2 2 --sym-files 1 8 --sym-stdin 8
--sym-stdout

Finally, when I run it without the --max-time flag

klee --optimize --libc=uclibc --posix-runtime ./echo.bc --sym-args 0 1
10 --sym-args 0 2 2 --sym-files 1 8 --sym-stdin 8 --sym-stdout

it takes at least 30 minutes, at which point I gave up and killed it.

Clearly, the flag before and after the filename are both doing something,
but I'm not sure what. The standard usage for --max-time puts it before the
filename according to the documentation. Can anyone help me understand
what's happening?

Thanks in advance.