[klee-dev] Working with fixed memory locations.

Carrasco, Manuel G m.carrasco at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 20:43:12 BST 2022

Hi Marco!
I have a program that when compiled, adds a program header that loads a data blob into a fixed memory location.
​I'm sorry to ask, but could you explain a bit more how this works? At first glance, I'd say that if any of this happens on a stage later than LLVM-IR, it may be hard to mimic in KLEE.

As far as I understand, when KLEE executes a LLVM-IR load instruction<https://github.com/klee/klee/blob/master/lib/Core/Executor.cpp#L2722>, it will try to find<https://github.com/klee/klee/blob/master/lib/Core/Executor.cpp#L4191> the MemoryObjects (more than one if it is a symbolic pointer) that contain the address. Conceptually, you want KLEE to somehow have a MemoryObject at the hardcoded address.

One way to go could be modelling this as a LLVM-IR GlobalVariable at your fixed address with the content of your blob.  If this makes sense, you may want to check this function<https://github.com/klee/klee/blob/master/lib/Core/Executor.cpp#L648> and addExternalObject perhaps as well.

I apologise if you already know this!

Best regards,
Manuel.