What are XML's namespaces?

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Mon Apr 21 16:56:04 BST 1997

At 06:35 AM 4/21/97 -0900, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>Note that architectures and applications could define additional name
>spaces by defining either extensions to the SGML property set (as HyTime
>does) or their own semantic property set (as HyTime also does) in which
>additional name space properties are defined.

I mispoke here a bit about property sets.  HyTime doesn't extend the SGML
property set, it defines additional property sets that define objects and
properties understood by a HyTime processor.  Any application or
architecture can do the same thing.  The SGML Extended Facilities (Annex A
to the corrected HyTime standard), does add a module to the SGML property
set in order to support those facilities, but it does not modify the
existing property set.

Cheers,

E.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers