Specification Questions

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Aug 2 21:03:46 BST 1997

At 09:51 AM 02/08/97 GMT, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
><QUESTION>
>What whitespace characters can be passed to the application? Regardless of
>what is done with it, is CR+LF treated in the same way as LF or CR alone
>in a document?
></QUESTION>

All bytes that are not markup are data, and passed to the application.

Yes, this will be surprising to people who are used to HTML.  Too bad -
HTML's behavior is unacceptable for many classes of applications.  It
would be surprising to those who understand the 8879 rules, but
experience shows that this group includes only about a dozen people,
and they disagree.  The rule given above has the virtue that it is
short, simple, and easily understood by everyone.  We spent a lot
of time on this, and it's the only sane way to go. -Tim

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers