Whitespace

Liam Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Mon Aug 25 18:11:24 BST 1997

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Sean Mc Grath wrote:
> User A : "What file format is that?"
> User B : "It's MicroScape XML."
> User A : "I better buy a copy of MicroScape so - otherwise the white space
> will get busted again".

If this happens, it wlil be time to standardise whitespace handling at the
applicaton level, perhaps.  Right now, I fnd this argument totally bogus.
You might as well point out that Microsoft Excel (say) interprets
<formula> and <cell> in one way, and PrisonGlue interprets them differently.

Whitespace treatment needs to be specified in the CML specification,
for example, and then any conforming CML processor will do the right
thing and there's no problem.  Taking CML and passing it to a CDF processor
will result in different whitespace treatment, I expect... and also different
treatment of all the non-whitespace too!  And that's fine.

Lee

--
Liam Quin --  the barefoot typographer -- Toronto
lq-text: freely available Unix text retrieval

email address: liamquin, at host: interlog dot com

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers