Whitespace

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Wed Aug 27 00:39:48 BST 1997

Marcus Carr wrote:

> Jon Bosak wrote:
>
> > A discussion of conventions for specific classes of user agents
> (e.g.,
> > web browsers) is useful, but I feel that it's my obligation to point
>
> > out to anyone mistakenly thinking that this issue might conceivably
> be
> > reconsidered in the current XML specification that it is not going
> > happen.
>
> I'm not asking for anything to happen, but I do believe these things
> should be allowed to be discussed. If people tire of the topic,
> they'll stop talking about it - knocking healthy (even if misguided)
> discussion on the head contributes nothing.

It has been pointed out to me in private mail that my answer could be
perceived as somewhat unfair criticism and that I may have
misinterpreted the tone of Jon's mail. I'll plead all the usual excuses
(it was late, my cat had been run over, etc), offer my apologies and
rephrase my point.

Given that there is nothing binding the suggestions of this group to the
standard, I feel that even the most radical suggestions should be
entertained as an exercise in lateral thinking (and perhaps tolerance).
As long as we all accept that this has no impact on the formation of the
standard, and we must, this list can act as a well of diversity,
tempered only by the delete keys of its readership.

Again, Jon my apologies.

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc at allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info at allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774