entity arrays/quotes

Eric Bickford eric at macweb.com
Tue Dec 9 04:44:17 GMT 1997

I'm investigating the XML spec for conformance by my CGI, and I have a
couple questions:

1) I was surprised to see that a single quote is valid for attribute
values (as apposed to double quotes). Is this new with XML, or does HTML
also allow single quotes?

2) Is there some standard way to declare an ENTITY that includes an array
of values? To be specific, I'd like to include a list of values in a
document so my parser can build a SELECT menu of OPTIONS.

3) Does anyone have an opinion on how &entities; can best be used with a
database application? For example, assume you declare in your DTD a list
of &entities;, one for each database field name/value. If we are to
expect browsers to parse an xml document with entities, how can a found
table or hit list of values get substituted?

Eric Bickford                      eric at macweb.com
Web Broadcasting Corporation       http://macweb.com/
Web Essentials for FileMaker Pro   WEB FM, PICT FM, LOG FM, TAG FM

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)