external dtd subset content

james anderson mecom-gmbh at mixx.de
Fri Dec 12 11:29:27 GMT 1997

we're trying to understand the necessary form for the external dtd
subset.
in particular two questions have arisen.

1?  since the external subset contains markup declarations only, it
would appear that it establishes no constraint on the root element. is
it legitimate to use the same dtd for various xml documents, each with a
different root element?

2? among the example DTD's we've found, some begin with an <?xml ... >
form. others don't. isn't that form excluded from being a PI and thus
from being a markupdecl?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)