Classification: XML Parser Features

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Dec 12 15:37:31 GMT 1997

At 10:08 AM 12/12/97 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>Realm #1: Functionality
>
>a) Scanning
>     This type of parser simply skips the DOCTYPE declaration (using
>   regular expressions) and parses the markup in the document
>   instances.

This is not a conformant XML processor per the spec.

There are certain things a processor is required to do with the internal
subset, including parse it and check it for syntax.

>b) DTD-driven

There are a whole range of behaviors.  Parsers may, not must, read
external markup declarations and external parsed entities.

>Realm #2: Validation
>
>a) Non-validating
>     This type of parser assumes that its input document is both
>   well-formed and valid, and is not required to report any errors at
>   all.

No such animal is envisioned in the standard.  If it doesn't check for
WF problems, it's not an XML processor.

I'll stop here.  I suggest you go back and re-work your (potentially helpful)
list based on a re-reading of the specification. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)