XML software for Visual Basic

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Sat Dec 13 16:28:57 GMT 1997

At 01:42 PM 12/13/97 GMT, Robrecht Siera wrote:
>It is getting more and more interesting to start programming
>applications using XML.  Until now Java gets the most attention to
>do this programming in (for obvious reasons).
>
>But to have some programming routines for Visual Basic would be very
>welcome also.  Because we would like to develop a data management
>and data exchange application where XML is used as file format.
>
>Is anybody capable of developing such parser routines or API usable
>in Visual Basic ?

Part of the Jade package (James' DSSSL Engine) is the groveoa.dll, an OLE
Automation DLL that you can use easily with Visual Basic to operate on SGML
documents.  I don't know if James has enabled the XML parsing mode that
he's putting into SP, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to hack it to do
it.  The grove that groveoa.dll creates reflects the SGML property set as
defined in the DSSSL and HyTime standards, rather than the DOM design,
although the two designs are close enough that code developed for one
should be easily adapted to the other.  I've created a little toy
application, GroveView, that demonstrates using the groveoa.dll.  You can
find it at "http://www.isogen.com/demos/groveview.html". Source code is
available upon request.  Jade is available a "http://www.jclark.com".

Cheers.

Eliot
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)