YAXPAPI and DOM

Mark L. Fussell fussellm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Dec 14 12:18:41 GMT 1997

I am a bit confused by the recent statements about the "complexity of
DOM" and the proposed simpler alternatives for an object model.  The DOM
model seems as simple and direct as all the proposed alternatives.  I
could see suggesting changes (I have myself) but it would seem these
should be relative to the DOM as it is or have some significantly new
features.  The core DOM 'content' information classes [with the read part
of their interfaces[*1] ] are:

    public interface Node {
      public int /*NodeType*/ getNodeType();
      public Node     getParentNode();
      public NodeList getChildren();
    }

    public interface Element extends Node {
      public String   getTagName();
      public NodeList getAttributes();
    }

    public interface Attribute extends Node {
      public String   getName();
      public NodeList getValue();
      public boolean  isSpecified();
    };

    public interface Text extends Node {
      public String  getData();
      public boolean isIgnorableWhitespace();
    };

I can't see how you could get much simpler in the number of classes and
the concept for each class[*2].

So if we have the Grove model and the DOM, of what value is another
similar, less-standard standard object model?

--------

I can see a different problem though: it may be that no model will be
useful to standardize for the actual interfaces.  Each application will
want slightly different object models that have very small changes that
are very significant to it.  Two examples I have in the above are both
from the same type of problem: restricted Typing.  In the above
interfaces I would much rather have NodeList->List [the JDK 1.2 interface
for a general indexed collection] because I have many more
implementations and functionality to use for manipulating lists than I do
for NodeList [I could wrapper and delegate all the functionality but that
is much more effort and less maintainable for no real benefit].  Likewise
I would rather have Attribute's value be an Object or a String than a
NodeList.  These minor changes make the DOM interfaces themselves
impossible to use: I can have interfaces just like them but they will
have to be my own version.

   I suspect this may always be the case.  I have helped build many large
and small information system models and none of them committed to using
exactly somebody else's code for the DomainModel[*3].  Having control
over the model of the information your application works with is crucial
to both good design and good/maintainable implementations.  This isn't to
say you can't use someone else's designs: that works excellently (e.g.
Design Patterns and Analysis Patterns).  You can even start with someone
else's code but you will almost certainly need to modify that model ever
so slightly (or majorly) at some point.

    An approach that works better than defining an exact ObjectModel
(i.e. exact Types) to implement is to think from outside the Model: to
the client and supplier points of views.  From the outside people only
care about limited interfaces and protocols that a DomainModel must
support to work with them.  This is how Swing's TreeModel works (as long
as you support the TreeModel interface you are worthy) and other 'M's in
the MVC pattern.  This is also how Java Beans work, but with a runtime
signature-binding approach.  In all these cases, the client/supplier
requirements come first and you can decide if you want to work with them
by suitably designing and implementing your DomainModel.

So I suspect all of the following are true:
   (1) The DOM interfaces will be exactly suitable to some
       applications
   (2) There are many applications that the DOM interfaces
       (as exact code) will not be suitable
   (3) The DOM model is a good design model and template for
       a good number of these applications
   (4) It would be good to suggest possible modifications to the
       DOM to either make it better or as possible alternatives
       for people in situation (2)
   (5) There are many good reasons to start defining the possible
       clients and services that (Document) DomainModels may want
       to use. [*4]
   (6) There is no reason to have a similar model to the DOM
       and make it a semi-standard
   (7) Frequently (2) will turn to using (3), (4), and (5) to make a
       suitable model, so these will be very valuable.

So it would seem good to focus on all of (1)-(5) in the above but not on
(6) except as it helps to understand the others[*5].

--Mark
mark.fussell at chimu.com

[1] I made a couple minor stylistic/convention changes (e.g 'is' for
booleans) to these interfaces.

[2] I coded a skeleton implementation (able to construct, inspect, and
print objects) of the level-1 DOM model (i.e. including the DocumentType
classes) in a part of an evening and offered to provide it as source in a
previous email.

[3] Except, for a while, when the model can be extended without changing
the source (a Smalltalk/ENVY feature).

[4] As an example of (5) in DOM, the DOM interfaces are generally Java
Bean compatible.  This is very useful in Java: the MONDO DOM
ObjectBuilder had exactly one line of code to specify how to take a
recipe for a (for example) ModelGroup and build a ModelGroup object:
        addBeanFactoryFor_toBuilder(ModelGroupClass.class,builder);

[5] In the above I am not referring to an event oriented API, but will
respond to that in a different email.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)