Any XSL tool!

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 21:40:23 GMT 1997

At 17:10 16/12/97 +0800, Chang Ming wrote:

Many thanks Chang Ming.

>I think XSL is not off-topic in this list.

It is absolutely appropriate. However:
	- XSL is at a very early stage. It's likely to undergo extensive changes
	- XSL is being discussed in the W3C process at present. Unfortunately for
you the discussion cannot be made public except by the WG.
	- There is a discussion group for DSSSL (forget URL - at Mulberry? -
someone will post this I'm sure). So that *may* be useful as well.

>I would like to know if there is any work done on XSL ,something like a
>interpreter.
>The only known tool seems the converter from XSL to DSSSL.

This is the primary (and for many people the only) motivation for XSL (i.e.
the precise and flexibly rendering of XML documents in 2D format).

This is a very good question. I cannot answer for the WG, of course. All I
can say is that my applications are not always textual and that I would
love to have transformation facilities in an XSL-like language. So, always
referring to the public spec of course, I would argue for the inclusion of
additional ELEMENTs that could provide this.  I'll probably experiment in
JUMBO - (JUMBO doesn't do much formatting as elephants can't do joined up
writing.)

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg