external subset syntax

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 21:58:43 GMT 1997

At 17:30 15/12/97 +0100, Per-Ake Ling wrote:
[...]

>Not only that, it is an underexploited feature in SGML that this is the
>case. The only indication of real use of this feature in SGML comes from
>Eliot Kimber, but I believe that it would be even more valuable in XML.

I agree. I have only just discovered a week ago that something like:
<!DOCTYPE BODY SYSTEM "html20.dtd">
<BODY>
<P>Hello world!</P>
</BODY>

could be an allowable use of SGML. If I had realised this earlier I could
have saved weeks of work in my CML DTDs.

I have to say that the SGML community is *not* good at marketing the
language - I don't *think* it deliberately keeps it opaque. It has proved
extremely difficult to get hold of good newbie information on (say)
architectural forms, HyTime, etc. Pleased to see some postings on XML-DEV
about it but I don't appreciate things normally till I see a piece of
software doing useful work :-) [No criticism to James Clark and those who
have implemented everything, but there aren't many household applications
yet.]

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg