RFC: Simple XML Event-Based API for Java

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Dec 17 19:05:45 GMT 1997

Tim Bray writes:

 > I'd be willing to commit to signing up to do this for Lark, given
 > the following changes:
 >
 > >  public void
 > >    startDocument (XmlProcessor processor, String pubid, URL sysid);
 >
 > Question: what if there's no <!DOCTYPE?  And if there is, you might as
 > well throw in the root doctype.

Agreed.  We can take it out, since the same information is available
using getPublicId() and getSystemId() in the XmlProcessor interface.

 > >  public void
 > >    startProlog (XmlProcessor processor);
 > >  public void
 > >    endProlog (XmlProcessor processor);
 >
 > Lose these; they have no place in this API.  You want this kind of stuff,
 > use Lark or AElfred or whatever.

Agreed.

 > >  public void
 > >    processingInstruction (XmlProcessor processor, String target, String data);

I disagree -- processing instructions are an essential part of a
document (especially for architectural forms).

 > >  public void
 > >    error (XmlProcessor processor, String message, URL url, int line);
 > >}
 >
 > Have to add the entity ID as an argument.  No point giving the line
 > number if you don't know what it's in.

The URL argument will show you where it is.

 > And one last thing: if you use URL, then you have to do a new URL()
 > which does (I think) at least some syntax checking... is this appropriate?
 > Why not just pass it as a string? -Tim

For starting Ælfred, I found using a string awkward, since I needed a
base URL to resolve relative URLs (like file names).  Since XML
mandates URIs anyway, and Java supports them pretty transparently, I
thought that it made sense to use them directly instead of using a lot
of Url.toString() and new URL(String) calls (it will also allow the
use of '==' with system identifiers).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca