IDL?

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 19:56:14 GMT 1997

At 11:06 17/12/97 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>David Megginson wrote:
>> 1) By Monday 12 January 1998, at least three Java parser writers have
>>    not agreed to support a specific set of common interfaces.
>
>What about a Python parser writer? We are, after all, on the brink of
>the 21st century. It would be really nice to stop the cycle of
>"crowning" one language the be-all and end-all of programming languages.
>
>Could we specify the interfaces in terms of IDL instead of Java (or
>perhaps agree to make an IDL version soon after the Java one)? The only
>extra work I see is that we must explicitly define the interfaces for
>URL and Dictionary so that other languages can implement Java-compatible
>versions.

Please can I very gently suggest that we stick precisely to what David has
suggested. It has the merit that we all understand it. [Strange as it may
seem I have never seen any Python or IDL, so it would make my job a lot
harder.]

The interface has to be simple enough for people like me to understand and
to tell my friends what it's about. I would prefer to limit the Consumers,
Factories and the rest to as few as possible.

On the main goals is to show that we can actually accomplish something
communally. That in itself will be a big achievement, because after that it
should get simpler.  We choose java because it's one of the main languages
of the WWW, it's free and the majority of the programs reported here are in
Java.

26 days and counting. In some countries some of the people will be on
holiday for some of the time. There are three more bodies to recruit. We
need people to hack code.

	P.

> Paul Prescod
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk