XML as a programming tool

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Dec 19 16:17:52 GMT 1997

One of the examples in my book was of state-driven programming.  It's not
exactly like writing programs - the XML document specifies states and triggers
for those states.  I'd foolishly thought about using it for a remote control
airplane, but the prospect of crashes (more than the computer) was not so
pleasant.  Instead, it controls light switches, which are a lot safer most of
the time.  It might also be an interesting tool for model railroads - feed a
controller an XML schedule, let the controller run the train.  (Just don't let
any real railroad hear about this.)

I guess it's programming like 'programming' a VCR - someone else has written
the program, I just feed it the data that controls its behavior.  Still, even
that limited prospect was exciting, and capable of some pretty complex stuff.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer (January) / Cookies (February)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)