Plug and Play XML

MURATA Makoto murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
Sat Dec 20 15:15:04 GMT 1997

Rick Jelliffe writes:
>When is each appropriate?  I think the idea is to use text/xml in the
>normal case, and application/xml as a fallback

I believe that this is the idea of the XML WG and also the idea of W3C.
However, it is still not cleary presented in the XML PR.

Rick Jelliffe writes:
>I think I first suggested it, but it certainly was not my preferred
>option: I would prefer everything to be application/xml, because I do
>not like the idea of dumb HTTP/MIME systems fiddling and transcoding data,
>which they may do for text/xml. Application/xml is a binary transmission;
>no bits are molested en route.

You might want to try this once again in the XML SIG.  If everybody agrees
on this, I am more than happy to agree.  But I do not want to have
both text/xml and application/xml for HTTP, as this is likely to confuse
people.  Is it possible to persuade people *not* to use text/xml?

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)