Undeclared attributes in Ælfred

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Dec 21 11:42:31 GMT 1997

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > BTW I have now hacked AElfred beta 4 under JUMBO, and it seems to
 > work fine. I can extract all the DTD information I want and render
 > it as a tree, as well as the conventional data. If - as David
 > suggests - the current AElfred API is close to the planned
 > convergence, then fine. It *did* take me longer than 15 mins - but
 > I wasn't at my brightest :-). I'd still like to see the #IMPLIED
 > problem clearly agreed. AElfred AIUI outputs null as the value for
 > a non-existent attribute whether the attribute is declared or not

Thank you for taking the time to try out the new release.

For documents without DTDs, this is probably the only option (any
attribute is potentially an #IMPLIED attribute).  For documents with
DTDs, I could create a query method like

  boolean isDeclaredAttribute (String elname, String aname)

but Ælfred has already grown too large (it's over 25K), so I would
need evidence of a pressing need.  In the meantime, you can use the
query method

  Enumeration declaredAttributes (String elname, String aname)

to build a hashtable, and then look in the hashtable whenever you need
to know whether an attribute is #IMPLIED or simply undeclared.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com