LISTRIVIA (was Re: Job announcement: network programmer within a linguistic resource application)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 15:42:35 GMT 1997

At 11:57 30/12/97 +0100, Patrice Bonhomme wrote:

>[Not exactly the subject of this list but could interrest someone]

We have been relaxed so far about what has been posted to XML-DEV, since
the traffic has been of manageable volume and high quality. We have little
experience of how it will develop. "Grey" areas include:

	- job postings
	- product announcements and other commercial information
	- meeting announcements

I suggest that the guideline should be:
	"Does a posting bring useful information to a significant number of
XML-developers?

	Since a large number (if not all) SGML-based groups will be actively
looking at XML, the phrase "SGML/XML" will become common. Clearly for
meetings like SGML/XML97 this list is very appropriate (since many
XML-related matters will have been discussed there for the first time; in
fact I'm sad that no-one has reported any feedback from this meeting).
However, general SGML/XML matters are probably more appropriate to
comp.text.sgml.

	Since XML is clearly entering exponential phase, we can expect an
increasing numbers of members, postings, announcements, etc. It will be
important to limit these to "matters of interest to XML developers" and so
far this has worked very well.

>Job announcement: network programmer within a linguistic resource application

[... deleted...]

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg