IDL?

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Dec 31 02:42:07 GMT 1997

Paul Grosso writes:

 > >My guess is that the level-one DOM includes comments only to support
 > >messed-up HTML-related tools that hide what should be processing
 > >instructions in comments.  I don't know if we really want to dirty
 > >ourselves with this in XML, unless we can come up with a compelling reason.
 >
 > Your guess is wrong.
 >
 > The DOM has several reference applications including editors and
 > data repositories, and retention of comments is a requirement for
 > these applications.  This is true for XML and has nothing to do
 > with "dirty" use of comments in HTML.

Yes, but is the level-one DOM the right place for such information?

The preservation of comments is certainly important for authoring
tools, but _much_ more important is the preservation of general entity
references in data and in attribute values, neither of which the
current draft of the level-one DOM supports.

Perhaps both comments and general entity references belong more
properly in a level-two DOM rather than in level one, since they deal
with lexical issues rather than logical structure.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com