Still quizzing Microsoft on minimization

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Wed Dec 31 02:50:30 GMT 1997

> From: Sean Mc Grath <digitome at iol.ie>

> The </> minimisation is used in the DSO examples that come with msxml 1.8
> and still parse with msxml.
>
> >Thanks for catching the error.  That copy is out-of-date.  I'll send a note
> >to Dr. Gui and ask for it to be fixed.

Why call this an error?  Why not just clearly label it as syntax which is
not valid or WF XML, but can be allowed in SGML. That way people know
it is not strange or naughty to use it if they need to, it is just not XML.
So take it out of the XML examples, but not the msxml parser (or put it in
a conditional section to allow a parser called "mssgml" as well from the
same code base).

The idea that one syntax (i.e. XML) is good for all documents is as
bad as saying that there can be one DTD for all documents. SGML allows
many variant syntaxes, and even its labarynths don't go nearly far
enough to give everyone what they need. XML is a good markup syntax
for the rest of us, but not the answer to all needs.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)