Problems with whitespace and msxml

Alexander Hinds ahinds at poboxes.com
Wed Dec 31 22:58:13 GMT 1997

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I download the latest
msxml.tar.gz from Microsoft's web site (release notes dated Dec 4) and am
having a devil of a time with getting it to do the right thing with
whitespace.

For one thing, despite what the docs say, it seems to insist on:

<!ATTLIST book
	xml-space	(DEFAULT | FIXED)	'DEFAULT'

instead of "default | preserve".

Moreover, no matter what I set it to, I always get back whitespace in my
tree, even without a mixed content model (for example, for element book,
it's first sib is always whitespace).

My question, basically is:  how do I eliminate whitespace from my tree
entirely?  Or failing that how do I get the current value of xml-space in my
ElementImpl subclass?  It appears that nameXMLSPACE is private, not
protected (why?) so a subclass can't really search it.  But even when I
change the visibility, it's always null anyway.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

---book DTD---

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE book [

<!ENTITY % block "p | section">