From Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM Tue Jul 1 07:18:51 1997 From: Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:07 2004 Subject: XML Dev Day 97: New call for presentations Message-ID: <199707010516.WAA06544@boethius.eng.sun.com> NEW CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: XML DEVELOPERS DAY AUGUST 21 I've agreed to chair the upcoming XML Dev Day August 21 in Montreal and am reissuing the call for presentations with a different deadline and some new information. For widest coverage, I am posting this to several different lists; please forgive the duplication. WHAT IT IS A technical conference for XML developers will be held Thursday, August 21, in Montreal, Canada. The event will immediately follow four days of HyTime tutorials and conference sessions in the same location and, like them, will be hosted by the Graphic Communications Association (GCA). XML Developers Day is a single-track event devoted to technical reports on the latest developments in XML theory and practice. If you are engaged in the development of any software that works with XML -- converters, parsers, servers, clients, or XML-based vertical applications -- here is your chance to share your work with an audience that can understand and appreciate it. Demonstrations of running software will be given special consideration. The XML activity includes work on a subset of DSSSL, so implementors of DSSSL tools that work with XML are invited to report on their efforts as well. We're also open to presentations on XML-based languages (CML, OFX, etc.) and related efforts that might have a significant impact on the future of XML (MCF, XML-data, etc.) if they are of particular interest to XML developers. Vendors of commercial tools can participate, but they must confine their presentations to the technical aspects of current XML products in development. Table space will be made available for the distribution of product announcements and commercial literature. COST The registration fee for XML Dev Day is $395 for GCA nonmembers and $320 for GCA members. This is mighty inexpensive for an inside update on the very latest activity in this field. You can register at http://www.gca.org/conf/hytime/hytime97.htm N.B.: Presenters get in free. CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS If you would like to give a report at this event, send a paragraph or two describing your presentation, based on a conservative estimate of the status of your project as it will stand on August 21, to Jon Bosak (jon.bosak@eng.sun.com). Also include a description of the audio-visual equipment you will need for your presentation and an estimate of its duration. Please include the phrase "XML Dev Day" somewhere in the Subject line of your message. Since we want up-to-the-minute reports on activities in progress, there will be no published proceedings, and therefore you need not submit your entire presentation in advance. But please try to make your forecasted description as accurate as possible so that the conference organizers can choose the most interesting and relevant submissions. I am moving the deadline for submissions to Friday, July 18, in order to get in everyone who might possibly have some late-breaking news. Submissions coming in after that will be considered, but it may not be possible to accommodate them. Jon ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Jon Bosak, Online Information Technology Architect, Sun Microsystems ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 2550 Garcia Ave., MPK17-101, Mountain View, California 94043 Davenport Group::SGML Open::NCITS V1::ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8::W3C XML If a man look sharply and attentively, he shall see Fortune; for though she be blind, yet she is not invisible. -- Francis Bacon ---------------------------------------------------------------------- xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From flammia at sls.lcs.mit.edu Thu Jul 3 03:28:24 1997 From: flammia at sls.lcs.mit.edu (Giovanni Flammia) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Class hierarchies in XML References: <3.0.32.19970628183455.00aa22f0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Message-ID: <33BB0017.54740E5@sls.lcs.mit.edu> Hello: In our research group we're trying to use XML for the textual representation of semantic objects such as geographic locations, business listings, addresses, etc. We really need to build an object-oriented hierarchy, with classes that are extended by subclasses and so on...For example, a is a subclass of and inherits the properties of such as
and , but adds other properties, such as . What is the proper syntax for expressing classes and sub-classes, or types and subtypes, inheritance and so on? i.e how do I tell in a document that is a subclass of (and perhaps allow even multiple inheritance?) Can you point me to the relevant specs? Thanks. Giovanni Flammia. flammia@sls.lcs.mit.edu -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 280 bytes Desc: Card for Giovanni Flammia Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970703/d2b9e1d2/vcard.vcf From tikvas at agentsoft.com Thu Jul 3 10:20:08 1997 From: tikvas at agentsoft.com (Tikva Schmidt) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: sample Dtd & XML files Message-ID: <33BB5D09.37F3@agentsoft.com> I'm trying to check out a Dtd Parser which I wrote for the use of our XML Agent applications ,but I hardly found exaples for xml dtd's which actually obayed the rules of the xml production spec. If anyone can give me url's for some dtd files and appropriate xml files that I could do some testing on I'd apprecciate it very much! Thanks! Tikva Schmidt. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Tikva Schmidt. email: tikvas@agentsoft.co.il corp: Agentsoft Ltd. http://www.agentsoft.co.il Phone: 972-2-6480573 --------------------------------------------------------------------- xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From eliot at isogen.com Thu Jul 3 10:56:56 1997 From: eliot at isogen.com (W. Eliot Kimber) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Class hierarchies in XML Message-ID: <3.0.32.19970703012202.00fe7228@mail.swbell.net> At 09:27 PM 7/2/97 -0400, Giovanni Flammia wrote: >We really need to build an object-oriented hierarchy, with classes that >are extended >by subclasses and so on...For example, a is a subclass of > and >inherits the properties of such as
and number>, but >adds other properties, such as . >What is the proper syntax for expressing classes and sub-classes, or >types and subtypes, >inheritance and so on? i.e how do I tell in a document that >is a subclass of (and perhaps allow even multiple >inheritance?) The architectural approach, using the formalism and syntax defined by the Architectural Forms Definition Requirements (AFDR) annex of HyTime (2d Edition), works as follows: 1. You define some set of superclasses. This definition consists of two essential parts: a set of SGML element and attribute declarations (i.e., a "DTD") and some documentation of the semantics of these classes. This serves to define a set of semantics, give them names (the element types and attributes), and give the whole set a name (the public ID or URN of the superclass set, declared as a notation). These definitions are first and foremost *documentation*. However, the declarations can be used to do validation of documents against the architecture, if desired (the SP parser supports this, for example). They may also suggest the design of object-oriented programs that provide "methods" for the element classes. For example, the following set of declarations declares an architecture for describing "locations": This set of declarations has defined a very general set of superclasses, defining and documenting the minimum requirements for describing locations. Note that these are *minimum* requirements--you can add additional sophistications when you specialize from this general architecture. The loc-descriptor and loc-bridge element forms are intended to be specialized for different kinds of locations. I can now define a "Restaurant Architecture", derived from the Location architecture, that adds specialized elements unique to (or needed for) restaurants. This is also defining a set of superclasses, derived from the location superclasses, but intended to be specialized for individual documents. Again, the primary purpose of the following is to formally declare and document the classes and their semantics. Here's how you relate the restaurant declarations to the location declarations: 1. Any element type in Restaurant that has the same name as one in the location architecture is automatically derived from the location form (e.g., "name") 2. The "location" attribute defines the mapping for all other element types In this case, every element type in the Restaurant architecture is derived from a superclass form in the location architecture, but that's not a necessary requirement. In addition, any subclass architecture or document can be derived from multiple superclass architectures. These two architecture declarations define a class hierachy. The syntax and declarations are formal enough to enable processing and validation of documents against these declarations. However, their first and foremost purpose is as *documentation* for humans to read and understand. Now I want to create a document that describes a restaurant. This document will be derived from the Restaurant architecture. In an XML environment, if we assume that there are no declarations for the document, then the restaurant architecture defines the rules for documents, but, because it's not used as the real DTD declarations, needn't be processed in order to parse the document. (But note that the restaurant architectural declarations *could* be used as a document's DTD declarations if desired, because the syntax is the same.) Here's a restaurant document derived exactly from the restaurant architecture: ]> Kreiz' Barbeque
Off the square Lockhart Texas 787xx 512-555-1234
Brisket Prime rib Pork chops 8 to 8, closed Sunday Moderate
Note that the DTD is null (SYSTEM ""), but the notation declaration connects the document with the architecture. Thus a human observer or parser *can* refer to the architecture if desired, but isn't required to. I can use the restaurant architecture as part of a larger document type (say a document type for travel info). I can also specialize from it at the document level. For example, I might have something like this: ]> A Guide to Austin And Environs Austin is known for its barbeque, traditionally smoked over hickory or mesquite and served dry or with spicy sauce Kreiz' Barbeque ... Coyote Cafe ... ... Here I've done two things: 1. I've specialized from restaurant to further distinguish types of places to each. 2. I've derived the document from two different architectures (restaurant and location). >Can you point me to the relevant specs? The AFDR Annex of HyTime can be found at "http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/hytime/html/clause-A.3.html" (in a few days--we're setting up the site now). The minimum you need know in order to make the above work with SP can be found at "http://www.jclark.com". The key difference between what I've shown above and the mechanism defined by the AFDR is the use of notation attributes to further configure the use of architectures in documents and meta-DTDs (architecture declaration sets). As XML doesn't [yet] have notation attributes, there's no way to use that aspect of the AFDR. However, you can approximate it as I've shown above. Note that the "inheritance" is largely conceptual--this is data, not programming--so its up to the authors of documents to understand the semantics of the class hierarchies and use them appropriately. The declarations enable some validation against the architectures, but it's ultimately up to humans or down-stream processors to validate the use. Note also that the "methods" associated with elements *are* programs (browser objects, style sheet functions, transforms, etc), and so may do real inheritance. As mentioned before, it probably makes sense in general to design object-oriented processors that mirror the architecture classes. If anyone wants to see how the above documents and architectures can be processed architecturally using SP, I'll work up the examples when I get a chance (after the holiday). I'm also preparing a more complete paper on similar uses of architectures which I'll announce once I've got it up on the ISOGEN Web site. Cheers, Eliot --
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer Highland Consulting, a division of ISOGEN International Corp. 2200 N. Lamar St., Suite 230, Dallas, TX 95202. 214.953.0004 www.isogen.com
xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From phj at teleport.com Thu Jul 3 11:02:31 1997 From: phj at teleport.com (P. Ju) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: sample Dtd & XML files In-Reply-To: <33BB5D09.37F3@agentsoft.com> Message-ID: I've found a few DTDs and XML files here and there. One simple but excellent example is on the iX Web site: http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/E/1997/06/106/listings.html (The "artikel.html" is an excellent, concise description of XML, too.) There are also the Shakespearean texts marked up by Jon Bosak.. (I've forgotten where to find them.) You can also try the sample XML files and DTDs that come with Microsoft's MSXML parser. I'm interested in finding more examples as well... especially those incorporating XML-LINK and whatever natal stages? of XML-STYLE and XML-other-stuff. Patricia xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM Mon Jul 7 01:45:37 1997 From: Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: New xml-lang spec available (preannouncement) Message-ID: <199707062343.QAA09486@boethius.eng.sun.com> The new xml-lang spec is now up on the W3C site: http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-lang-970630.html http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-lang-970630.ps (Note: the second thing isn't pure PostScript but it should work when sent to a PostScript printer.) Formal announcement will come in a couple of days when we have the latest xml-link up as well and have had a chance to update the various pages that point to these things. Jon xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From richard at light.demon.co.uk Mon Jul 7 11:19:46 1997 From: richard at light.demon.co.uk (Richard Light) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: New xml-lang spec available (preannouncement) In-Reply-To: <199707062343.QAA09486@boethius.eng.sun.com> Message-ID: In message <199707062343.QAA09486@boethius.eng.sun.com>, Jon Bosak writes >The new xml-lang spec is now up on the W3C site: > > http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-lang-970630.html > http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-lang-970630.ps > >(Note: the second thing isn't pure PostScript but it should work when >sent to a PostScript printer.) > >Formal announcement will come in a couple of days when we have the >latest xml-link up as well and have had a chance to update the various >pages that point to these things. Thanks for the preannouncement. It looks reassuringly familiar! How do we get a quick fix on what has changed from the March draft? Richard. Richard Light SGML and Museum Information Consultancy richard@light.demon.co.uk 3 Midfields Walk Burgess Hill West Sussex RH15 8JA U.K. tel. (44) 1444 232067 xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM Tue Jul 8 06:45:48 1997 From: Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: New xml-lang spec available (preannouncement) In-Reply-To: (message from Richard Light on Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:51:47 +0100) Message-ID: <199707080443.VAA10102@boethius.eng.sun.com> [Richard Light:] | Thanks for the preannouncement. It looks reassuringly familiar! How | do we get a quick fix on what has changed from the March draft? Good question. I'm hoping that one of the editors can find time at some point to make a list of changes. Jon xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From housel at ms7.hinet.net Wed Jul 9 05:33:35 1997 From: housel at ms7.hinet.net (Peter S. Housel) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Whence XAPI? Message-ID: <199707090324.LAA29583@ms7.hinet.net> I'm considering starting work on an XML parser (written in Dylan) , but I was waiting to see what sort of consensus the XAPI discussions would come to. Alex Milowski's efforts seem to be well thought-out, but I think there needs to be some more in-depth documentation and rationale. Also, somebody was going to come up with an XML profile of the SGML property set. Is that done yet? Can we get the discussion back on track? -Peter S. Housel- housel@acm.org xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From phj at teleport.com Wed Jul 9 08:03:30 1997 From: phj at teleport.com (P. Ju) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Interpreting XML-LINK "SHOW" attribute specs In-Reply-To: <199707062343.QAA09486@boethius.eng.sun.com> Message-ID: Hi all. I am a little confused about the SHOW attribute. Can someone verify my interpretation? EMBED: a .... might become: a b REPLACE: a .... might become: b .... or is it actually: b NEW: a .... might become: b The way HTML s work, is that SHOW="REPLACE" or SHOW="NEW"? Is '' the behavior of SHOW="NEW"? Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Patricia xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From jtigue at datachannel.com Wed Jul 9 23:30:56 1997 From: jtigue at datachannel.com (John Tigue) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Whence XAPI? References: <199707090324.LAA29583@ms7.hinet.net> Message-ID: <33C4033F.E9AC2AE1@datachannel.com> Peter S. Housel wrote: > I'm considering starting work on an XML parser (written in Dylan) > , but > I was waiting to see what sort of consensus the XAPI discussions would > > come to. There doesn't seem to be much disagreement on XAPI-J 1.0, probably because there isn't much to it; so far it's really just elements, attributes, and events (the events are not done yet). Before going forward I think it would be good to see some implementations of XAPI-J other than DataChannel's. XAPI-J is limited to Java. You might be more interested in the work of the DOM which is language independent and much more encompassing than XAPI-J 1.0. This work is limited in scope compared to the grove work of DSSSL. The goal of XAPI-J 1.0 is to simply come up with common method signatures for those methods which are present in the existing processors. This allows for implementation independence for the processor consumer. -- John Tigue Programmer jtigue@datachannel.com DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com) 206-462-1999 -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 316 bytes Desc: Card for John Tigue Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970709/28746c91/vcard.vcf From andrewl at microsoft.com Thu Jul 10 02:16:08 1997 From: andrewl at microsoft.com (Andrew Layman) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Sizes Message-ID: <7BB61B44F197D011892800805FD4F792F6C8E6@RED-03-MSG.dns.microsoft.com> I see the the automatic reformating of our mail system rendered the tables unreadable. I'll mail a spreadsheet and the sample data to anyone who wants the data more readably, or wants to experiment. --Andrew Layman AndrewL@microsoft.com > -----Original Message----- > From: Andrew Layman [SMTP:andrewl@microsoft.com] > Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 2:52 PM > To: 'Tim Bray'; Ora Lassila; lauren@sqwest.bc.ca > Cc: w3c-labels-WG@w3.org; w3c-dsig-collect@w3.org > Subject: Sizes > > I ran some quick tests on file sizes, before and after compression, > using a sample of five invoices with details. I ran the tests with > XML, > s-expressions, and XML with short end tags, and cross-tabbed this > against Unicode vs. UTF-8 and compressed versus uncompressed. > > The bottom line is that, after LZW compression, there were no > significant differences in file sizes. Prior to compression, s-expressions were 65% of XML, and using short end tags was 69%. (Neither of these, however, would work for the "desparate PERL Hacker.") xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ebaatz at barbaresco.East.Sun.COM Thu Jul 10 21:04:42 1997 From: ebaatz at barbaresco.East.Sun.COM (Eric Baatz - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: #x3000 inconsistency in June XML Syntax spec? Message-ID: One of the difference between the April and June specs was the removal of #x3000 from [1] S ::= (#x20 | #x9 | #xd |#xa)+ However, it still survives in [14] PubidChar ::= #x20 | #x9 | #xd |#xa | #x3000 | [a-zA-Z0-9] ... Should it be removed from [14] for consistency? xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ebaatz at barbaresco.East.Sun.COM Thu Jul 10 21:46:41 1997 From: ebaatz at barbaresco.East.Sun.COM (Eric Baatz - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:08 2004 Subject: Too much latitude in Nmtoken characters? Message-ID: I don't understand why such a wide choice of characters are allowed in in the June XML Syntax specification. [7] Nmtoken ::= (NameChar)+ Because [4] NameChar ::= Letter | Digit | MiscName [3] MiscName ::= '.' | '-' | '_' | ':' | CombiningChar | Ignorable | Extender [87] Ignorable ::= a whole bunch of characters like "zero width non-joiner", "right-to-left mark", and "zero width no-break space" This seems to allow Nmtokens that aren't visible to the human eye, for example, consisting of a single zero width non-joiner. My limited understanding of SGML suggests that a Nmtoken is more like a Name rather than a superset of it. For that matter, is "9" a sensible Nmtoken? xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From markb at glosa.com Fri Jul 11 20:37:44 1997 From: markb at glosa.com (Mark Brissenden) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: Too much latitude in Nmtoken characters? References: Message-ID: <33C67704.867E9EFB@glosa.com> Eric Baatz - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS wrote: > > I don't understand why such a wide choice of characters are allowed in > in the June XML Syntax specification. > > [7] Nmtoken ::= (NameChar)+ > > Because > > [4] NameChar ::= Letter | Digit | MiscName > [3] MiscName ::= '.' | '-' | '_' | ':' | CombiningChar | Ignorable | Extender > [87] Ignorable ::= a whole bunch of characters like "zero width non-joiner", > "right-to-left mark", and "zero width no-break space" > > This seems to allow Nmtokens that aren't visible to the human eye, > for example, consisting of a single zero width non-joiner. > Plus, what if one is embedded in a token? You could have two different tokens that appear to be identical to the human eye, one of which could split into two parts in the right context. > My limited understanding of SGML suggests that a Nmtoken is more like > a Name rather than a superset of it. For that matter, is "9" a sensible > Nmtoken? > I think "9" is a legitimate Nmtoken (in the Ref. Concrete Syntax, anyway), because Nmtokens aren't limited in their first character the way Names are - the first character can be anything which can appear in the rest of the token. -- ================================ Mark Brissenden Glosa International http://www.csn.net/~brissen ================================ xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From flammia at sls.lcs.mit.edu Sat Jul 12 06:20:23 1997 From: flammia at sls.lcs.mit.edu (Giovanni Flammia) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: Why do XML and OFX have subtle differences? References: <7BB61B44F197D011892800805FD4F792F6C8E6@RED-03-MSG.dns.microsoft.com> Message-ID: <33C705D7.8444715C@sls.lcs.mit.edu> As I get more and more interested in XML and its applications beyond GUIs, I wonder why Open Financial Exchange (OFX) and XML have at least one subtle difference that bothers me. The one difference that I see is this one. When the data being transmitted is a simple list of of key-value pairs, XML would do it like this: name mypassword or like this: (I personally prefer the value scheme, but that's just me) while OFX would do it more parsimoniously as: name mypassword Otherwise, the tagging scheme is pretty much compatible (correct me if I'm wrong). I think it would be highly desirable that either XML incorporates the simpler OFX listing with no ending tag, or OFX comply to XML. It seems to me that OFX is gaining wide industry support, so I propose that XML somehow incorporate a provision to list simple key-value pairs like OFX. Of course, I would be happy also if OFX was going to add those ending tags that are missing from their DTDs. This way, XML can ride the wave started by OFX, and XML developers can build OFX compliant tools with no worry. Giovanni Flammia flammia@sls.lcs.mit.edu http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/flammia -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 280 bytes Desc: Card for Giovanni Flammia Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970712/6e7bb120/vcard.vcf From tbray at textuality.com Sat Jul 12 18:28:20 1997 From: tbray at textuality.com (Tim Bray) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: Why do XML and OFX have subtle differences? Message-ID: <3.0.32.19970712085536.008b1560@pop.intergate.bc.ca> At 12:19 AM 12/07/97 -0400, Giovanni Flammia wrote: >I wonder why Open Financial Exchange (OFX) and XML have at least one >subtle difference OFX predates XML, is based on SGML, and uses a form of minimization called end-tag omission that was deliberately left out of XML. A few months ago, I had heard that the OFX people were thinking seriously about fixing this so as to be XML-compliant. -T. xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From gfrer at luna.nl Sun Jul 13 00:52:27 1997 From: gfrer at luna.nl (Gerard Freriks) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: SGML Tag Minimization In-Reply-To: <01BC8ECF.6C14FAE0@gren-exch-1.kpscal.org> Message-ID: At 11:25 PM +0200 on 12-07-1997, Dolin,Robert H wrote: > >One of the concerns raised with SGML as a message interchange format regards > >the ratio of tags to content / the overall length of a message when encoded > >in SGML. Considerable markup minimization is possible with SGML. The debate > >over message length versus ease of parsing messages also has >implications for > >the use of XML, which I am less familiar with, but believe has less capacity > >for markup minimization. Does anyone have further thoughts on the > >requirements of message length? > > Problems? As far as I follow the discussion in XML, I know that markup minimalisation isn't a part of XML ! There is a standard using SGML in order to exchange finacial information. They use the minimization, and supposedly are contemplating to conform to the XML -standard. At this moment there is possibly a debate starting at XML-DEV on this subject. If we (HL7-SGML) think it should be included into XML, we must take action now. My personal subjective opinion is that it should be included. On the other hand XML is supposed to be a 'simple' version of SGML. 20% of the declarations and 80% of the functionality of SGML. So adding this and adding that will be counterproductive with regards to the design objective. (I have no real life experience writing XML or SGML stuff. I'm a contemplator, only) GF Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD C. Sterrenburgstr 54 3151JG Hoek van Holland the Netherlands Telephone: (+31) (0)174-384296/ Fax: -386249 Mobile : (+31) (0)6-54792800 ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From mtbryan at sgml.u-net.com Sun Jul 13 09:27:42 1997 From: mtbryan at sgml.u-net.com (Martin Bryan) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: Why do XML and OFX have subtle differences? Message-ID: <1.5.4.32.19970713072615.0069c780@mail.u-net.com> At 00:19 12/7/97 -0400, Giovanni Flammia wrote: > The one difference that I see is this >one. When the data >being transmitted is a simple list of of key-value pairs, XML would do >it like this: > >name >mypassword > >or like this: > > > > >Otherwise, the tagging scheme is pretty much compatible (correct me if >I'm wrong). > >I think it would be highly desirable that either XML incorporates the >simpler OFX listing >with no ending tag, or OFX comply to XML. Unfortunately we lost this battle in the XML debate - XML forces you to use end-tags even where their absence is detectable as it presumes you need to know nothing about the DTD to be able to parse it. If you do not know whether is a subelement of or a sibling of you need the end-tag to tell you. ---- Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029 E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com For details about The SGML Centre contact http://www.sgml.u-net.com/ For details about the Open Information Interchange initiative contact http://www.echo.lu/oii/home.html xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Mon Jul 14 07:34:11 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: Too much latitude in Nmtoken characters? Message-ID: <199707140535.PAA08043@jawa.chilli.net.au> > This seems to allow Nmtokens that aren't visible to the human eye, > for example, consisting of a single zero width non-joiner. I think XML name tokens are better detected by exclusion not inclusion: this is a sensible way when you have to deal with lots of potential naming characters. In other words, you detect the end of the name by the presence of a sepchar or a delimiter, rather than by testing if each character is a name character. At the reading end, such simple token-detection is all that is needed if your document is well formed. To stop silly tags, the SGML declaration should have ZWNJ character (which I think has to do with cursive operation of arabic scripts, and is as much required as accent characters) NAMECHAR not NAMESTRT. So, in context, ZWNJ and RTL & LTR have visible effects. They are not usually undetectable. But it is better to allow silly tags than disallow native-language markup: only about 1/4 of the world can make sense of English/Latin tags. Apparantly the WG is waiting till August to finialise the naming discipline. Rick Jelliffe xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From Alice.Portillo at PSS.boeing.com Tue Jul 15 17:18:03 1997 From: Alice.Portillo at PSS.boeing.com (Christina Portillo) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: character encoding questions Message-ID: <33CB9454.3394@PSS.Boeing.com> I am new to the list and have some basic questions on the use of ISO10646 that may have already been answered. Has there been any discussion on how the mapping of the current character sets in use will be mapped to the ISO10646? In the current SGML ATA documents being generated by Boeing there is reference to the ISO TECH, ISO PUB, ISO NUM, ISO GRK1, ISO BOX, ISO GRK3, ISO AMSO, ISO AMSC, and ISO LAT1 in order to access all the required characters referenced in the manuals being produced in SGML. My questions are: 1. How are the software vendors (browser, parser, authoring) planning on supporting documents which utilize the UNICODE character set? 2. a) Can all the characters referenced in ISO LAT,1 positions 0-256, be referenced in the document without benefit of escape codes? 2. b) What about positions 0-125? 2. c) Must the characters above 126 be escaped? 3. At what point in the ISO10646 character set must escaping be instituted in order to reference a character within the set? 4. Has anyone mapped the ISO TECH, ISO PUB, ISO NUM, ISO GRK1, ISO BOX, ISO GRK3, ISO AMSO, and ISO AMSC to the UNICODE equivalent escape codes? 5. How does SHUNCHAR set to NONE in the XML SGML DECLARATION interplay with Char, Letters, Ignorable and other character class definitions? Has the character class IGNORABLE taken care of this problem? Christina Portillo Product Definition and Image Technology The Boeing Company Phone: 425.237.3351 PO Box 3707 M/S 6H-AF Fax: 425.237.3428 Seattle, WA 98124-2207 christina.portillo@boeing.com xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 06:46:31 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: character encoding questions Message-ID: <199707160448.OAA17703@jawa.chilli.net.au> > From: Christina Portillo > My questions are: > 4. Has anyone mapped the ISO TECH, ISO PUB, ISO NUM, ISO GRK1, ISO BOX, > ISO GRK3, ISO AMSO, and ISO AMSC to the UNICODE equivalent escape codes? I will be posting versions of these this week, if no-one else has done it yet. (Has anyone else?) Rick Jelliffe xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From peat at erols.com Wed Jul 16 09:37:40 1997 From: peat at erols.com (Peat) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: EDI, Electronic Commerce and the Web, 1-day workshop, London 18 November 1997 Message-ID: <199707160737.DAA03296@smtp1.erols.com> FYI - Can anyone help this gentleman out? - Bruce Peat ----------------------------------------- EDI, Electronic Commerce and the Web, 1-day workshop, London 18 November 1997 Please forgive the intrusion, UK-based technical training company Technology Appraisals are putting together a 1-day workshop/conference on EDI, E-Commerce and the Web in conjunction with the repeat of their XML series of events (see: http://www.techapps.co.uk/) They are looking for speakers at the event to present papers in (but not limited to) the following areas: - Why EDI needs the Internet - Why the Internet needs EDI - EDI /Web standards tools & techniques including: OBI, CommerceNet, XML/EDI Interactive EDI XML-Data, CDF and push technologies Real-time vs. store and forward 00-EDI approaches Who's making/going to make the standards and why - EDI and the business web Legal issues Security issues Technology Appraisals pay a modest paper presentation fee and presenters are entitled to attend the event free of charge. If you are interested in presenting a paper please send a brief summary plus a biography asap to: David Hitchcock (mailto: techapp@cix.compulink.co.uk) Many thanks xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 12:08:15 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:09 2004 Subject: XML versions of ISOlat1, ISOgrk1, ISOgrk2, ISOgrk3, ISOgrk4 Message-ID: <199707161009.UAA27860@jawa.chilli.net.au> Attached are XML-ized versions of ISOlat1, ISOgrk1 .. ISOgrk4 Please let me know of mistakes. Anyone want to put them up on some site? More to follow. Rick Jelliffe -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOlat1.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 4638 bytes Desc: ISOlat1.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/1895cad0/ISOlat1.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOgrk1.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 3758 bytes Desc: ISOgrk1.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/1895cad0/ISOgrk1.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOgrk2.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 2205 bytes Desc: ISOgrk2.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/1895cad0/ISOgrk2.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOgrk3.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 2927 bytes Desc: ISOgrk3.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/1895cad0/ISOgrk3.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOgrk4.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 4616 bytes Desc: ISOgrk4.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/1895cad0/ISOgrk4.obj From nico at ais.Berger-Levrault.fr Wed Jul 16 14:12:03 1997 From: nico at ais.Berger-Levrault.fr (Nicolas Paris) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: character encoding questions Message-ID: <9707161210.AA02751@dodo.ais> Christina Portillo wrote: > > My questions are: > 1. How are the software vendors (browser, parser, authoring) planning on > supporting documents which utilize the UNICODE character set? > The Double Byte Edition of the Balise SGML/XML transformation tool uses internally characters coded with 16 bits, which allows to transform transparently any Unicode documents (see http://www.balise.com/). Balise is able to parse, read and write most usual encoding schemes: UCS-2, UTF-8, ISO-8859-[1-9], Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, EUC-KR, CN-GB, and Big5. The Balise xml scanner switches to the adequate decoder when the XML PI changes the encoding. For instance, specifies that the flow should be interpreted according to the ISO latin1 encoding scheme. When reading or writing character files, Balise can specified the used encoding scheme and by this mechanism is able to transform from one encoding scheme to another (as long they are compatible). The internal double byte coding of the characters allows the user to see directly one flat Unicode character set. This is particularly important for operation like searches and sortes. The Single Byte Edition of Balise is able to support ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 (in its ASCII subset). > 2. a) Can all the characters referenced in ISO LAT,1 positions 0-256, be > referenced in the document without benefit of escape codes? > Only the UCS-2 and UTF-8 encoding schemes are absolutely required by the XML spec. Tools need to support the encoding scheme ISO-8859-1, for processing characters in the range 160-255 of ISO-8859-1. If the ISO-8859-1 is not available then you must code your characters with character references. > 2. b) What about positions 0-125? Characters of ISO Latin 1 between 32 and 127 (ASCII part) are OK because they are mapped in the same place in most encoding scheme including UTF-8. > > 2. c) Must the characters above 126 be escaped? > No, if the appropriate encoding scheme (here ISO-8859-1) is used. If not, you should use character references like é or express the desired character in current encoding scheme (UCS-2 or UTF-8). For ISO-Latin1, the mapping of every character is the same as in Unicode. This is not true for other ISO-8859 encoding scheme and for ISO TECH, ISO PUB, ... This means that tools using 8 bit internal representation are obliged to code them internally in an escaped way, which may be inefficient or inadequate for some coding and some processing. > 3. At what point in the ISO10646 character set must escaping be > instituted in order to reference a character within the set? > Character references (like é) is a convenience to cover any Unicode character, even if they are not compatible with the encoding scheme of the document. Tools like Balise can be used to transform documents between any character formats: special characters can be coded directly by Unicode character code (if compatible with the encoding scheme), XML character references or SGML SDATA entity references. You can use Balise at different steps of your process to adapt your data with the capabilities and limitations of other tools. When tools are not coding characters internally in 16 bits, they are obliged to code these escaped characters into an escaped form. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nicolas Paris AIS Software tel. : (33+1) 40 64 43 00 17 rue Remy Dumoncel fax. : (33+1) 40 64 43 10 75014 Paris email: nico@AIS.Berger-Levrault.fr FRANCE web: http://www.balise.com/ xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 15:53:28 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: character encoding questions Message-ID: <199707161355.XAA04487@jawa.chilli.net.au> > From: Christina Portillo > My questions are: > 1. How are the software vendors (browser, parser, authoring) planning on > supporting documents which utilize the UNICODE character set? I am using EditTime at the moment: it supports Unicode document character set and ENR extended naming rules SGML declaration. It is not officially XML, but you can type in /> for EMPTY elements, so you can create XML documents. I don't know whether it allows &#x hexadecimal numeric character references, but it certainly supports SPREAD-style &U hexadeclimal entity references, so it can be trivially converted to XML. They seem to have Japanese & Chinese versions available, and also support the European scripts. Rick Jelliffe xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 19:01:04 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: XML versions of ISOdia, ISOpub, ISOnum Message-ID: <199707161702.DAA08259@jawa.chilli.net.au> Attached are XML-ized versions of ISOdia, ISOpub and ISOnum. Please let me know of mistakes. Rick Jelliffe -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOdia.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 1364 bytes Desc: ISOdia.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/202886d0/ISOdia.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOnum.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 5072 bytes Desc: ISOnum.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/202886d0/ISOnum.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOpub.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 5714 bytes Desc: ISOpub.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/202886d0/ISOpub.obj From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 20:24:58 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: (explain .PEN extension) Message-ID: <199707161826.EAA09421@jawa.chilli.net.au> Christina Portillo has asked me to clarify what the .PEN extension is, as used in the XML versions of the ISO entities. It is just short for parameter entity, and could just as easily be .txt or .sgm or .ent. I think Panorama uses .pen. It is just minimum data text: ASCII. It is a lovely and apt extension, whoever thought of it. Rick Jelliffe xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Wed Jul 16 21:41:14 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: XML versions of ISOtech and ISOlat2 Message-ID: <199707161943.FAA10483@jawa.chilli.net.au> Attached are XML-ized versions of ISOlat2 and ISOtech. Please let me know of mistakes. Rick Jelliffe -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOlat2.pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 7399 bytes Desc: ISOlat2.pen () Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/fea67409/ISOlat2.obj -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: ISOtech,pen Type: application/octet-stream Size: 4538 bytes Desc: not available Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970716/fea67409/ISOtechpen.obj From phj at teleport.com Thu Jul 17 00:41:46 1997 From: phj at teleport.com (P. Ju) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: Need author for part of XML book In-Reply-To: <199707161826.EAA09421@jawa.chilli.net.au> Message-ID: Hi all. I am in dire need of authors for part of an XML book. It is being published by a prominent computer book publisher. You will get an appropriate portion of the advance as well as royalties. I'll need someone who can crank out 4 chapters at 20pp each (manuscript, not including pictures) by next Thursday (7/24). These are the topics you'll need to write about: New Development Paradigms (Description: what changes XML will bring to software development) Writing XML Software (Description: detailed how-to about writing XML parsers, processors, displayers.. can include XML-LANG, XML-LINK, and XML-STYLE) Securing XML-based Applications (Description: all security aspects involved in XML applications... include OpenPGP, a new initiative from the IETF, include specifics on what security will be in place for online commerce) Modifying Existing Tools (what developers will be doing in order to modify HTML editors to output XML, Web servers to deliver XML, server-side programs to parse XML, SGML applications to speak XML) Anyone who has the time and the expertise to help out with this project, *please* contact me. Thank you! Patricia Ju phj@teleport.com xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From michael at textscience.com Thu Jul 17 12:17:30 1997 From: michael at textscience.com (Michael Leventhal) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: character encoding questions In-Reply-To: <33CB9454.3394@PSS.Boeing.com> Message-ID: <3.0.1.32.19970717180951.007b2c80@aimnet.com> At 08:16 AM 7/15/97 -0700, Christina Portillo wrote: >My questions are: >1. How are the software vendors (browser, parser, authoring) planning on >supporting documents which utilize the UNICODE character set? 1. Grif has implemented UNICODE 2.0 in the current versions of its Korean and Japanese SGML editor and UNICODE will be incorporated in the next release of our standard SGML Editor product. 2. We have rewritten the standard C string and character processing functions and macros to handle UNICODE. (The GNU license effectively prohibits use of the GNU library in commercial products. We also felt that the GNU implementation would not have been adequate.) 3. Internally we use the UCS-2 16 bit character encoding and use translation routines to read other encodings. 4. Currently, UNICODE versions of the product only work under Windows '95 and NT, although the base library interfaces are platform independent. 5. Symposia, our HTML editor and our first product which will be released with support for XML is also being upgraded to use UCS-2 16 bit encoding internally. Currently it handles UTF-8 ASCII and ISO-8859 but will translate anything over 127 to a character entity on keystroke entry. ______________________________________________________________________ Michael Leventhal Internet : http://www.grif.com G R I F , S. A. Email : Michael.Leventhal@grif.fr VP, Technology Telephone : 510-444-2962 1800 Lake Shore Ave Ste 14 Fax : 510-444-1672 Oakland, California 94606 France : (011) 33 1 30121430 (fr US) ______________________________________________________________________ xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From jtauber at jtauber.com Thu Jul 17 18:29:28 1997 From: jtauber at jtauber.com (James K. Tauber) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: Whence XAPI? Message-ID: <01BC92EC.63955740.jtauber@jtauber.com> On Tuesday, July 08, 1997 8:33 PM, Peter S. Housel [SMTP:housel@ms7.hinet.net] wrote: > Also, somebody was going to come up with an XML profile of the SGML > property set. Is that done yet? I started this and then went away to a conference (to run an XML workshop :-). I'm back now and plan to finish things off. James -- James K. Tauber / jtauber@jtauber.com Perth, Western Australia xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From apd at usa.net Thu Jul 17 19:33:22 1997 From: apd at usa.net (Al D'Andrea) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: Chief Technology Officer Position - XML Knowledge Needed Message-ID: <33CE538C.5265@usa.net> Chief Technology Officer EDMS Solutions has been engaged to help our client find a Chief Technology Officer who has strong connections to the XML effort. Our client is a rapidly growing developer of leading component-based document management solutions which support SGML, HTML, XML, and a wide variety of other document and data types. Position responsibilities include (subject to change): - Advice and oversight of R&D for all company's businesses; - Assist senior engineering/company management to develop and continually refine short and long-term commercial product architecture, then develop technology "build or buy" strategies to support it; - Advise and assist senior engineering/company management to help them meet defined technology objectives and flag future problems or potential opportunities for improvement; - Serve as an objective advisor to company's senior managers regarding development projects, processes, tools, and technology; - Build links to other outside technology groups and consultants to help build both expertise and access to consulting and marketplace resources; - Sign off on all major R&D project plans, and work with senior engineering/company management to be sure these projects are successfully completed; - Research, evaluate, and disseminate information about new and existing technologies, products, and vendors which may impact company position or products; - Includes "sounding board", outside advisor, and project lead ("a do-er") roles; - Serve as a company and product evangelist in a wide variety of public and company forums; - Develop technology position papers to support corporate efforts; and - Participate as needed as a member of the executive management team. Position requirements include: - Extensive technology experience with an emphasis on: document management, publishing, and office systems, data and text management, Internet / WWW, workflow, and application development (experience with XML (eXtensible Markup Language), Java, C++, CORBA, SGML, PC Docs, FileNet Saros, Documentum, and Lotus Domino are pluses). - 5+ years software industry experience as a chief technology officer, sr. product architect, lead technologist/visionary, or technology guru with the following experience preferred: technology, product, and vendor assessment and evaluation; technology vision and architecture development; participation as a member of the company management-team; and product/technology evangelism at conferences, in the press, technology forums, company training events, and on sales calls; - Very strong influence management and communication skills -- for communication with company staff and outside contacts at all levels, leading cross business teams, etc.; - Successful experience leading a complex commercial software design, development, and QA effort is a plus; - Ability to travel as needed. Location: US West Coast (client will pay for relocation). Compensation: Our client offers an excellent compensation package, including salary, bonus, stock options, and very good company-paid benefits. For more information contact (in confidence): Al D?Andrea Executive Recruiter EDMS Solutions Telephone: 800-727-1777 toll free in North America or 512-327-8850 or Fax/Email your resume in confidence to: (512) 328-9630 / apd@usa.net EDMS Solutions is an executive recruiting firm that specializes in staffing key positions that require electronic document management systems (EDMS) and publishing systems skills or industry knowledge, including document imaging, SGML, workflow, Internet, and text-retrieval. Our clients come from around the world and include software vendors, system integrators, consulting firms, government agencies, and both small and large companies operating in a wide range of vertical markets. All fees, including interviews, relocation (when necessary) are paid for by our clients. -- Al D'Andrea EDMS Solutions Tel: 512-327-8850 3300 Bee Cave Rd., Ste. 650-161 Fax: 512-328-9630 Austin, TX 78746-6660 Email: apd@usa.net xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From jtigue at datachannel.com Sun Jul 20 07:02:36 1997 From: jtigue at datachannel.com (John Tigue) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: Xapi-J: proposed interface to Document Message-ID: <33D19C41.41E547CD@datachannel.com> I would like to propose an addition to Xapi-J which would be the start of the interface to a document. The current definition of Xapi-J focuses on the interface IXMLProcessor and its method readXML() which returns a reference to an IElement which represents the root element of the processed document. This choice was made simply because it reflected the lowest common denominator of the currently available XML processors. The results are proving to be awkward. For example, a processor might construct a representation of the entire document including any internal DTD. As Xapi-J currently stands, the DTD representation would not be accessible because only the root element is returned from readXML() rather than a reference to the entire document. Perhaps it would be better to return a reference to the document. The root would then be available through, say, IDocument.getRoot(). As such I would like to propose the following beginning to IDocument: package xml; public interface IDocument { public IElement getRoot(); } Obviously this definition of IDocument is incomplete. The benefit is that the underlying implementor of IXMLProcessor could do whatever other work it does, attaching references to those results to the IDocument which it would return to the processor client. An Xapi-J client could simply call getRoot() to get the root element (with everything else behaving just as it did before IDocument was added to Xapi-J). Clients knowing more about what a particular implementor of IXMLProcessor does (and returns) would be able to cast the returned IDocument reference to a specific class in order to access any additional information attached to the IDocument. Although this definition of IDocument is not complete, I can think of no better choice. Also, as Xapi-J gets kicked around more, IDocument would probably be defined in more detail making it more useful. For example, IDocument should probably implement IContainer, there should be a way of accessing the DTD information, etc. For now this IDocument allows Xapi-J to move beyond one of its current problems. Several current XML processors have a document class which could easily implement IDocument. For those which don't have a document class but do produce representations of the element tree, adding a new class which implements IDocument, as shown above, would be trivial. -- John Tigue Programmer jtigue@datachannel.com DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com) 206-462-1999 xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ricko at allette.com.au Sun Jul 20 07:03:08 1997 From: ricko at allette.com.au (Rick Jelliffe) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:10 2004 Subject: (ISOdia, ISOtech, etc explained) Message-ID: <199707200505.PAA08361@jawa.chilli.net.au> Someone on this list has asked what ISOdia, ISOtech etc are. The SGML standard (ISO 8879) included several sets of entity definitions for many special characters: * ISOlat1 gives the characters in extended Latin alphabet #1, which is also the upper part of ISO 8859-1 * ISOlat2 gives a whole lot of extra latin characters * ISOgrk1 and ISOgrk2 give simple modern Greek characters * ISOcyr2 and ISOcyr2 give modern Russian and non-Russian Cyrillic characters * ISOdia gives spacing versions of diacritical marks (and is therefore not very useful, I think) * ISOpub, ISOtech give symbols used in publishing and science * ISOnum, ISOgrk3 and ISOgrk4 give symbols used in mathematics * ISObox gives the box characters (yuck) These entity sets allow you to use special characters in your document, regardless of what the document character set you are using. Well known examples are "<", "&", or "—". They are "SDATA" entity sets, which means that it is the job of the recipient to map them to something locally useful. XML uses ISO 10646 (~=Unicode) as its document character set, so I made up versions of some of the public entity sets resolved for use with ISO 10646. That was the sets I posted. The ISO standard character entity sets are almost universally used in SGML documents, and giving the XML versions of them makes translation from SGML to XML easier. W3C has put out its own versions (HTMLsymbol, HTMLlat2, and HTMLmisc) which contain have a selection of the most ubiquitous special characters from the ISO sets: basically, the characters in the so-called ANSI code page used on Windows and the Adobe Symbol font, again resolved for ISO 10646. Other public entity sets of interest are: * Martin Bryan has put together ISOchem, (in ISO 9573 Techniques for using SGML) for chemical symbols; * TEI (Harry Gaylord, etc) has put together entity sets for Arabic and Hebrew; * I have put together a set (SPREAD) for representing all Unicode characters as entities: in the case of XML, this is redundant, but it does allow transport between XML and SGML fairly trivially; * American Mathematics Society has contributed, and ISO has standardised, several sets of characters for mathermatical use (ISOamsr etc.); * Anders Berglund has revised some of the ISO 8879 public entity sets, and the TEI sets, and added some others for other languages e.g. Thai as part of ISO 9573 part 15 "Entity sets for non-Latin Languages). These sets have apparantly been voted YES by ISO national bodies, but have sat in limbo for several years, apparantly due to some obstruction from somewhere, which (if true) is a very bad thing. (I hope members of ISO bodies will get their national bodies to investigate and push for distribution of the public entity sets.) I hope this answers the question from the list member who asked. In closing, ISO 10646 does not contain all the symbols or letters in the world. Especially in technical fields (e.g. ISOchem for example). So there is still the need for XML to provide a standard way to request special glyphs over the web. There will always be this need, since the number of glyphs and characters is unbounded. I hope that XML WG will look at this issue. Gavin Nicol has started a maillist on this subject. Rick Jelliffe xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From richard at light.demon.co.uk Mon Jul 21 11:21:21 1997 From: richard at light.demon.co.uk (Richard Light) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: Xapi-J: proposed interface to Document In-Reply-To: <33D19C41.41E547CD@datachannel.com> Message-ID: <7DX0sGA29x0zEwj5@light.demon.co.uk> In message <33D19C41.41E547CD@datachannel.com>, John Tigue writes >I would like to propose an addition to Xapi-J which would be the start >of the interface to a document. > >The current definition of Xapi-J focuses on the interface IXMLProcessor >and its method readXML() which returns a reference to an IElement which >represents the root element of the processed document. This choice was >made simply because it reflected the lowest common denominator of the >currently available XML processors. The results are proving to be >awkward. > >For example, a processor might construct a representation of the entire >document including any internal DTD. As Xapi-J currently stands, the DTD >representation would not be accessible because only the root element is >returned from readXML() rather than a reference to the entire document. > >Perhaps it would be better to return a reference to the document. The >root would then be available through, say, IDocument.getRoot(). As such >I would like to propose the following beginning to IDocument: >... (Read 'XML' for 'SGML' throughout!) This is exactly the sort of problem which adopting the 'grove plan' approach is meant to deal with. In line with your suggestion, the SGML property set starts with the class sgmldoc, or 'SGML document', which is 'the parsed SGML document. The root of the grove.' This is _not_ the root element of the document instance: the 'document element' is just one of the properties of the sgmldoc class. sgmldoc has the following properties that might be relevant to XAPI: - prolog (as per XML's 'prolog' - contains the internal and external DTD subset); - epilog (equivalent to the 'Misc*' which follows the document element); - docelem ('document element' - the root element of the document instance); - elements (all the elements in the document which have unique identifiers - handy for processing XPointers, etc.); - entities (the explicitly declared general entities, followed by the defaulted entities) (There are others!) Putting it less formally, the SGML property set matches all the concepts which are defined in XML. Thus the XML production [23] for 'document': document ::= Prolog element Misc* is equivalent to the sgmldoc class, which in turn has properties which are equivalent to 'Prolog' (prolog), 'element' (docelem) and 'Misc*' (epilog). In my view, XAPI should be taking advantage of this existing framework (and naming conventions) where it is relevant to XML's requirements. Didn't someone do a summary of the relevant classes and properties a couple of months back? Richard Light SGML and Museum Information Consultancy richard@light.demon.co.uk 3 Midfields Walk Burgess Hill West Sussex RH15 8JA U.K. tel. (44) 1444 232067 xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca Mon Jul 21 15:38:59 1997 From: ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca (David Megginson) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: Xapi-J: proposed interface to Document In-Reply-To: <7DX0sGA29x0zEwj5@light.demon.co.uk> References: <33D19C41.41E547CD@datachannel.com> <7DX0sGA29x0zEwj5@light.demon.co.uk> Message-ID: <199707211338.JAA00324@localhost> Richard Light writes: > This is exactly the sort of problem which adopting the 'grove plan' > approach is meant to deal with. In line with your suggestion, the SGML > property set starts with the class sgmldoc, or 'SGML document', which is > 'the parsed SGML document. The root of the grove.' > > In my view, XAPI should be taking advantage of this existing framework > (and naming conventions) where it is relevant to XML's requirements. > Didn't someone do a summary of the relevant classes and properties a > couple of months back? I agree with Richard. Like SGML, groves can be very complicated or simple, as required, and XML can easily use a simple model -- just enforce a single list of supported modules, as XML enforces a single SGML feature list and declaration. Why redo all of the work for XML that's already been done in the HyTime annex and DSSSL standard? I can see no advantage in re-inventing the wheel for XML: it will simply force software and documentation to support two different, incompatible approaches. I do agree that we need more and better documentation on groves, but we will need to document a proprietary XML approach as well. For more on the grove support currently available in SP (for full SGML and XML), see http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dmeggins/grove.html All the best, David -- David Megginson ak117@freenet.carleton.ca Microstar Software Ltd. dmeggins@microstar.com http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dmeggins/ xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From jtigue at datachannel.com Mon Jul 21 18:18:44 1997 From: jtigue at datachannel.com (John Tigue) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML sample application Message-ID: <33D38C3B.6B19B47D@datachannel.com> For your XML viewing pleasure, I have created a demo applet which allows users to view CDF files. The applet is configured (from its html page) to fetch a CDF file from its server and display any channels and items in a tree. Users can click on the elements in the view and the browser will call up the URL from the xml elements' href attribute. The applet is at http://www.datachannel.com/xml/viewer (circa 500K, the parser is about 100K of that). It has been shown to work on Netscape 3 and 4 (Windows, Mac, Sun) and MS IE 3 and 4. Please tell me if you have any difficulties. I used this experiment to test drive Xapi-J as it currently stands. As such the applet's UI and logic consume the document through the Xapi-J interfaces to the element tree. The applet could have used any underlying processor which implements the Xapi-J interfaces. -- John Tigue Programmer john@datachannel.com DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com) 206-462-1999 -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 260 bytes Desc: Card for John Tigue Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970721/1fdfc6a1/vcard.vcf From cys at arbortext.com Mon Jul 21 19:57:37 1997 From: cys at arbortext.com (Cynthia Lenore Shern) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML sample application Message-ID: <3.0.32.19970721133416.006901b4@pophost.arbortext.com> John, Please excuse my ignorance, but where can I find a brief and accurate description of CDF (Channel Definition Format). The demo on Netscape looked great!!! Cynthia Shern cys@arbortext.com At 09:20 AM 7/21/97 -0700, John Tigue wrote: >For your XML viewing pleasure, I have created a demo applet which allows >users to view CDF files. The applet is configured (from its html page) >to fetch a CDF file from its server and display any channels and items >in a tree. Users can click on the elements in the view and the browser >will call up the URL from the xml elements' href attribute. The applet >is at http://www.datachannel.com/xml/viewer (circa 500K, the parser is >about 100K of that). It has been shown to work on Netscape 3 and 4 >(Windows, Mac, Sun) and MS IE 3 and 4. Please tell me if you have any >difficulties. > >I used this experiment to test drive Xapi-J as it currently stands. As >such the applet's UI and logic consume the document through the Xapi-J >interfaces to the element tree. The applet could have used any >underlying processor which implements the Xapi-J interfaces. > >-- >John Tigue >Programmer >john@datachannel.com >DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com) >206-462-1999 > > >Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\vcard10.vcf" > Cynthia Shern Product Specialist Arbortext, Inc. 1000 Victors Way, Suite 100 Ann Arbor, MI 48108 (313) 996-3566 xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From jwrobie at mindspring.com Mon Jul 21 20:28:07 1997 From: jwrobie at mindspring.com (Jonathan Robie) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML sample application Message-ID: <1.5.4.32.19970721182534.0092db50@pop.mindspring.com> At 01:56 PM 7/21/97 -0400, Cynthia Lenore Shern wrote: >John, > >Please excuse my ignorance, but where can I find a brief and accurate >description of CDF (Channel Definition Format). Here's a bunch of links on CDF and other XML-related standards which may be helpful: Channel Definition Format (CDF) http://www.microsoft.com/corpinfo/press/1997/Mar97/Cdfrpr.htm http://www.microsoft.com/standards/cdf.htm http://www.datachannel.com/ChannelWorld/CDF/CDFIndex.htm http://www.microsoft.com/corpinfo/press/1997/May97/pshpnlpr.htm http://www.datachannel.com/ChannelWorld/MicorNet/MicroNetIndex.htm XML (Extensible Markup Language): http://www.microsoft.com/standards/xml/ http://www.textuality.com/sgml-erb/WD-xml.html http://www.textuality.com/xml/ http://www.sil.org/sgml/xml.html Meta Content Framework (MCF): http://hotsauce.apple.com/ http://www.webweek.com/1997/06/23/software/19970623-metadata.html http://mcf.research.apple.com/hs/mcf.html http://www.textuality.com/mcf/MCF-tutorial.html Open Financial Exchange (OFE) http://www.microsoft.com/finserv/ofxdnld.htm http://www.microsoft.com/finserv/news.htm (companies supporting OFE) Mathematical Markup Language (MML) http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-math-970710 Chemical Markup Language (CML) http://www.venus.co.uk/omf/cml/doc/tutorial/xml.html Have fun browsing! Jonathan *************************************************************************** Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com *************************************************************************** xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From sdarya at bna.com Mon Jul 21 20:56:36 1997 From: sdarya at bna.com (sdarya@bna.com) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML sample application Message-ID: <852564DB.0067F3F4.00@bna-03.bna.com> I tried the demo on MS IE 3 (Windows95). I get a program exception error and IE crashes. Do I have to have Netscape? Thanks, Saeed ====================================================================== Saeed Darya, Sr. Software Engineer (sdarya@techno-soft.com) Technosoft Corp., Maryland, USA (http://www.techno-soft.com) ====================================================================== xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From john at datachannel.com Tue Jul 22 00:11:27 1997 From: john at datachannel.com (John Tigue) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML sample application References: <852564DB.0067F3F4.00@bna-03.bna.com> Message-ID: <33D3DF12.671032C6@datachannel.com> sdarya@bna.com wrote: > I tried the demo on MS IE 3 (Windows95). I get a program exception > error > and IE crashes. Do I have to have Netscape? > I'll gladly handle the tech support issues off list. Just pop some mail to john@datachannel.com Currently the applet has been shown to work on Netscape 3 without any problems on many platforms. Netscape 4 works but some folks are getting intermittent problems. MS IE 3 seems good as does IE 4. Rerunning the applet is a problem. The browsers needs to be restarted not just reloaded. -John Tigue xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From tallen at sonic.net Tue Jul 22 03:12:46 1997 From: tallen at sonic.net (Terry Allen) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XDB 0.4 available (Docbook) Message-ID: <199707220113.SAA26150@bolt.sonic.net> A zipfile containing an XML version of Docbook that I believe conforms to the 6/30 draft is now available at: http://www.sonic.net/~tallen/xdb04.zip though it is not linked to from my home page, which instead is devoted to links to various versions of my resume. This distribution includes XML-safe versions of the ISO character entity sets (not useful, only safe), and the xdbhier.mod file has been pruned to eliminate all high-level doctypes save RefEntry. I didn't prune xdbpool.mod to eliminate all elements not used in RefEntry, but that could be next. The idea is that Refentry is Docbook's most important contribution to its application domain, suitable (though still, in this version, with a lot of work) for combination with other DTD fragments. I tested this distribution with Jade version 0.8's -wxml option, but did not construct an XML-safe DSSSL specification for it. Please let me know of any problems you encounter. Regards, Terry Allen Electronic Publishing Consultant tallen[at]sonic.net http://www.sonic.net/~tallen/ Davenport and DocBook: http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From tbray at textuality.com Thu Jul 24 07:16:25 1997 From: tbray at textuality.com (Tim Bray) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: New XML API from Microsoft Message-ID: <3.0.32.19970723221358.00895cb0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> The latest release of Internet Explorer 4.0 has a brand-new XML API; I really haven't had a chance to take a close look at this, but a contribution at this level from an industry leader is obviously something we should pay attention to. It requires a certain amount of assiduous surfing to get there, but if you go to the "What's New" page at http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/prog/ie4/new/ and pick "InetSDK" off the menu bar, then pick "Internet Tools and Technologies" off that menu (ignoring (if you're in Netscape) the amusing Javascript warning messages about "-->" being a syntax error (gotta love it)) then go way down to the bottom of the page, there's "XML Object Model". For those who'd like to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, the actual frame-free URL seems to be http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk/inetsdk/help/inet5017.htm -Tim xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From tbray at textuality.com Thu Jul 24 07:21:09 1997 From: tbray at textuality.com (Tim Bray) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: New XML API from Microsoft Message-ID: <3.0.32.19970723221823.008e68d0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Oh hell; got the surfing sequence wrong; go to the "What's New" page at http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/prog/ie4/new/ and pick "InetSDK" off the menu bar, then pick "SDK Docs" off that menu, then "Internet Tools and Technologies" off that menu... -Tim xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From john at datachannel.com Thu Jul 24 19:03:25 1997 From: john at datachannel.com (John Tigue) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: New XML API from Microsoft References: <3.0.32.19970723221823.008e68d0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Message-ID: <33D78B63.C2D84259@datachannel.com> I think it is great that XML is developing so quickly. I welcome Microsoft's hard work. I think, though, that we need a well designed object model for developer to use. From the below snippet taken from the MS site, we can see that MS-XOM is based on the Java processor work. In both these cases, I feel that a most basic object type, Element, is misdefined. I do not think that text, comments, DTDs and "other" are types of elements. Perhaps they are Markup but not Element. I hope that we can work out a model which will be good for the developers. I would also hope that MS would return to open, collaborative discussion of XML development issues. Previous to the beginning of work on Xapi-J this list had valuable and productive input from MS and its developers. They have since grown silent. For an alternative object model, please consider the collectively developed Xapi-J. I have been maintaining a site for tracking the Xapi-J work. The URL is http://www.datachannel.com/ChannelWorld/xml/dev. MS-XOM IXMLElement most closely resembles Xapi-J's IContent interface. IContent could be extended to include MS's work on IXMLElement perhaps with a method, such as, getContentType() but not IXMLELement::get_ type(). MS's Java XML processor has already influence Xapi-J so merging the differences would not be anything new in terms of process. The XML spec (section 3.1) clearly defines the term "element type". The spec's production [33] is as follows: STag ::= '<' Name (S Attribute)* S? '>' The above "Name" is the "element type". Text, Comment, DTDs simply do not have "element type". MS-XOM is misusing the spec's terminology. I hope in the end we have a standard which reflects the best of everyone's ideas. Only by collaborating together can we get there. It would be a shame if less well informed developers started learning XML doc interfacing as curently modeled by MS-XOM. IXMLElement::get_type HRESULT IXMLElement::get_type( long *plType) Returns S_OK on success. *plType Indirect pointer to return the type. Each node of the tree is labeled as being one of the following types: typedef enum xmlelemTYPE { XMLELEMTYPE_ELEMENT, XMLELEMTYPE_TEXT, XMLELEMTYPE_COMMENT, XMLELEMTYPE_OTHER } XMLELEM_TYPE; For Internet Explorer 4.0, the interesting element types are XMLELEMTYPE_ELEMENT, XMLELEMTYPE_TEXT, and XMLELEMTYPE_COMMENT. In the following code, both the CHANNEL and the TITLE elements are marked as being of type XMLELEMTYPE_ELEMENT. Their names are returned as "CHANNEL" and "TITLE", respectively. (The names are always all uppercase). The TITLE element has one child, which is a text element marked as being of type XMLELEMTYPE_TEXT. Breaking News -- John Tigue Programmer jtigue@datachannel.com DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com) 206-462-1999 -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 263 bytes Desc: Card for John Tigue Url : http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/attachments/19970724/ebd92887/vcard.vcf From Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM Sat Jul 26 00:09:13 1997 From: Jon.Bosak at Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: XML/EDI web site Message-ID: <199707252207.PAA17219@boethius.eng.sun.com> From: "Peat" To: Subject: XML/EDI website Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:11:33 -0400 Just wanted to give you heads up about an XML/EDI website. Reference: http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/5815 Please pass this message on to others who you think would want to or need to be notified about XML/EDI. Thank you. - Bruce Peat peat@erols.com xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From lex at www.copsol.com Mon Jul 28 21:44:54 1997 From: lex at www.copsol.com (Alex Milowski) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: ANNOUNCE: SGMLDEV (DSSSLTK/GROVETK/JSPI) Released Message-ID: <199707281942.OAA01170@copsol.com> ANNOUNCE: SGMLDEV Build 1043 Released ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- A new version of the SGMLDEV product suite from Copernican Solutions has been released. This build includes the following products: DSSSL Developer's Toolkit (DSSSLTK) ============================================================= A common API for Java/DSSSL environments. Grove Toolkit (GROVETK) ============================================================= A reference implementation of the dsssl.grove package. Java SGML Parsing Interface (JSPI) ============================================================= An SP-based Java SGML parser for processing SGML documents into groves. For more information and product download access, see: http://www.copsol.com/products/ ============================================================================== R. Alexander Milowski http://www.copsol.com/ alex@copsol.com Copernican Solutions Incorporated (612) 379 - 3608 xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk) From neil at bradley.co.uk Thu Jul 31 08:43:59 1997 From: neil at bradley.co.uk (Neil Bradley) Date: Mon Jun 7 16:58:11 2004 Subject: Specification Questions Message-ID: <199707310643.HAA12180@andromeda.ndirect.co.uk> While studying the June 30 version of the XML standard, I noted a small number of possible discrepancies and gaps. The symbols [6]Names and [8]Nmtokens do not appear to be used in any other rule. Are they redundant? The symbol [40]elementdecl consists of the following expression: '' What is the purpose of the '(%S S)?' part of this rule? The second line of the rule for [50]Mixed is: | '(' S? %( '#PCDATA' ) S? ')' I cannot understand the purpose of the inner brackets in this part of the rule. There is also little written about interpretation of line-ending codes. Although the standard states that white space and line-ending codes are ignored in element content, nothing is said regarding the age old problem of line-ending codes in mixed content. For example, in SGML we know that an initial and final record end is ignored, so:

Here is a paragraph.

is considered the same as:

Here is a paragraph.

Could we have some clarifications on this point? Thanks. Neil. ----------------------------------------------- Neil Bradley - Author of The Concise SGML Companion. neil@bradley.co.uk www.bradley.co.uk xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ To unsubscribe, send to majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message; unsubscribe xml-dev List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (rzepa@ic.ac.uk)