XML-LINK and IDREF

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 13:14:57 BST 1997

While we're on the subject of linking, I'm intrigued about the status of
the IDREF attribute type in XML.

In the SGML world, simple links within a document are mostly done with
IDREF -> ID, e.g.:

<div1 id="chap.beginnings"><head>New Beginnings</head>

(where the TARGET attribute has type IDREFS).  Browsers such as Panorama
recognise and support these links natively.

Is the intention in XML that IDREF(S) attributes are only supported "for
compatibility", and that the XML simple link should be used instead,
i.e.:

(where REF is now defined as having attribute XML-LINK="simple") ?

This obviously has implications for XML processors.

Richard Light.