Microsoft XML Parser in Java is Available

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 20:33:05 BST 1997

There are a few minor tweaks required to run or compile MSXML in a Solaris
environment - I have posted these to JeanP.  [The filenames need to be case
sensitive and correspond the class names; the JDK is stricter on casting; and
it also requires the constants to be declared before use.]  I'd be grateful for
any pointers on Java portability, and it's a good place to re-emphasise the
value of test data.

I've been porting JUMBO to run under J++, and running into a number of problems
that don't arise in W95 browsers.  These primarily include the use of '/' or
'\' in addressing files, but I also have a feeling that some static
initialisation may occur differently.  Any pointers to experience on this
or WWW pages would be valuable.

The '/' problem causes me some confusion.  When addressing a File, I
appear to end up with constructs like:
	URL context;
	URL u = new URL(context, "jumbo.gif");
I find I have to replace it with
	URL u = new URL(context+File.separator+"jumbo.gif");
to get it working under J++.  The question as to when separators are governed
by URL syntax, and when by file syntax is a difficult borderline.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers