Repeating attribute specifications

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 18:02:32 BST 1997

In message <3.0.32.19970611161725.00b540ac at pop.intergate.bc.ca>, Tim
Bray <tbray at textuality.com> writes
>>Is there anything in the XML spec which corresponds to the SGML
>>stricture that "there can only be one attribute specification for each
>>attribute definition", i.e. that you can't have repeated attribute
>>specifications within a single start-tag?
>
>No.  This is legal in XML.  And in SGML, with the recent TC. -T.

The other answer I got to this question quoted the XML Lang spec
(section 3.1):

"Validity constraint - Unique Att Spec:
No attribute may appear more than once in the same start-tag."

This seemed to deal with the issue pretty conclusively: I had just
failed to look under "start-tags" while thinking about attributes ;-)

Is this all about to change with the 30 June update?

Richard Light
SGML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard at light.demon.co.uk
3 Midfields Walk