XML Java API Standardization

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 23:52:00 BST 1997

In message <33A88B52.9FCC78DC at datachannel.com> jtigue at datachannel.com (John Tigue) writes:
[...]
> Now that the number of XML processor implementations is increasing
> rapidly, I would like to continue the subject of API standardization. I
> have written a document which discusses the issue and presents an
> informal proposal which continues the discussion of API standardization
> for Java.
>
> The document is located at:
> http://www.datachannel.com/ChannelWorld/XML/dev

This is a really first-class approach to the subject and I welcome it.
John has taken the time to summarise 4 parsers including his/datachannel's own
and this is an excellent starting point.  As an 'xmlProcessorConsumer' JUMBO
will adopt this approach as soon as I work it out.

> The first goal is to find a lowest common denominator for the current
> implementations and abstract that to a set of interfaces such that a
> developer could use this new API independent of an underlying
> implementation of the XML processor and/or invest in learning the
> particular benefits a specific implementation provides.
>
> I hope the site will serve as a convenience to the community and I will
> maintain it as a summary of what is going on in this list. Any feedback
> would be greatly appreciated. This is a work in progress. The greater
> the contributions, the better it will serve its purpose.

This is really great.  I'm in a rush, but at this stage
standard terminology for the XML-related terms (Element, Attribute, etc.) and
standard terminology for the Java-related stuff (Strea, Factory) etc.
is exactly what is required.

	P.

> --
> John Tigue
> Programmer
> jtigue at datachannel.com
> DataChannel (http://www.datachannel.com)
> 206-462-1999
>

> --------------C967F0FA5C31930ED3CBF135
>
> begin:          vcard
> fn:             John Tigue
> n:              Tigue;John
> org:            Datachannel
> adr:            10020 Main St.;;#205;Bellevue;WA;98004;USA
> email;internet: jtigue at datachannel.com
> tel;work:       462-1999
> tel;home:       498-4708
> x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
> x-mozilla-html: FALSE
> end:            vcard

Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences
http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers