XML Property Set

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 21:46:29 BST 1997

In message <199706231317.IAA16211 at copsol.com> lex at www.copsol.com (Alex Milowski) writes:
[...]
> Well, I'm going to make an offer.  I've spent the better part of a year
> working on and with a Java-based API for groves.  I am certain that I can
> create an interface from this (if not take it wholesale) for the XAPI and
> groves.  So, my offer is that I can come up with a draft and "the James's"
> and the lot can validate if I am on the right track.

I think this is an excellent way forward and many thanks to all who are
contributing to this effort.  I am prepared to make the effort to understand
it and find ways of interfacing it with JUMBO.

> I am fairly certain that at this point in time we should not say "maybe later"
> to groves.  We should standardize parser access, event interfaces, and groves
> at the same time.  We have enough developers with experience in all of these.

Just to check I have it right...

> An API architecture that I propose is:
>
> |---------------|
> |   Grove API   |   <<< I assume this has similarities to JamesClark's
> |---------------|             ReallySimple API ...
> | Grove Builder |
> |     API       |   <<< different memory/storage models are implemented here.
> |----------------------------------|
> |          XML Event API           |  << presumably fairly similar to NXP?
> |----------------------------------|
> |          XML Parser API          |  << Corresponds to John Tigue's analysis?
> |----------------------------------|

[...]
> Now, I feel strongly that above APIs or what they become are developed
> together.  They can certain affect how each other is designed.

I'd agree with this.  Can they be developed rapidly or in
parallel so that there aren't bottlenecks/hold-ups?

> If we have these four APIs, we have the fundamental building blocks for all
> kinds of XML applications--both simple and complex.  In addition, we have
> the basic infrastructure for DSSSL!  (Ah, you can see my motivation now!)

If I get this right it makes the DSSSL approach and the JavaClass-per-Element
(as in JUMBO), very closely connected.  The Grove API serves both purposes?
If so, that looks very exciting.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers