XML internal text entity replacement text

Paul Grosso paul at arbortext.com
Mon Jun 23 22:20:40 BST 1997

In the XML spec (31-Mar-97), the paragraph in section 1.5
just prior to production [9] says:

	Literal data is any quoted string containing neither a left
	angle bracket nor the quotation mark used as a delimiter for
	that string.  It may contain entity and character references.
	Literals are used for specifying the replacement text of
	internal entities (EntityValue)....

Production [9] itself, which defines EntityValue doesn't forbid "<".
The paragraph following productions 9-15 talks about parameter entity
and character refs, but not about element markup.

Section 4.3 [production 64] uses EntityValue, and section 4.3.1 talks
about internal entities, but says nothing about whether the replacement
text can contain elements.

I don't remember hearing that internal entities couldn't contain
element markup, and appendix A doesn't list it as a difference
from SGML, so I suspect the production is correct and the wording
that says "literal data can't have '<' and EntityValue is literal data"
is wrong.  Can anyone provide confirmation or denial of my assumption
that the above quoted text is wrong in suggesting that internal text
entity replacement text cannot contain element markup?

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers