XML API and the DOM

Lauren Wood lauren at sqwest.bc.ca
Tue Jun 24 00:46:47 BST 1997

I thought I would post some clarification of the DOM work here,
since it's an acronym that's been mentioned a couple of times.

W3C has a working group called the Document Object Model Working
Group. See http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DOM/.
To quote the activity statement on the User Interface domain
page on the W3C site: (http://www.w3.org/UI/)
"The Document Object Model is a platform- and language-neutral
interface that will allow programs and scripts to dynamically access
and update the content, structure and style of documents.
The document can be further processed and the results of that
processing can be incorporated back into the presented page."

The name of the DOM group is a little misleading, since we are trying
to standardize an interface rather than the underlying model.

Obviously there will be more than a little overlap between the
DOM and XAPI. The DOM will be more general - it has to work
with HTML documents as well as XML documents, and it has to
be platform- and language-independent. We are writing the
interface in IDL, and will also do language bindings to Java and
probably C++ and JavaScript.

Most of the people on the DOM group are also on the xml-dev mailing
list, as we want to be sure that whatever API is decided on here flows
into the DOM specification. The full DOM specification will contain
a lot more and take a lot longer than the basic XAPI being talked
about here. The first draft of level one is due to be ready by the
end of August and I will post the URL here when it is ready.

cheers,

Lauren

---

Lauren Wood, SoftQuad, Inc.  (posting as chair of the W3C DOM WG)

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers