XAPI

Matthew Gertner matthewg at poet.de
Tue Jun 24 17:41:49 BST 1997

> [Jonathan Robie]
> >
> >Is there really an advantage to defining it in IDL first? The IDL could
be
> >created after the specification is finished in Java, and the Java-based
> >specification is probably easier to create, understand, and test. I
*like*
> >making things language independent, but at this stage, I'm leery of
adding
> >complexity that doesn't add any new conceptual power.
>
> Hmmm. IDL == Language independent spec of an API....might this be better
> approached
> as an XML application? I.e. a DTD for the XML API spec. A doc conforming
> that spec.
> that can be down-translated to Java, C++, Python  and (gasp) IDL!
>
> APIs are stuctured docs. Let's practice what we are preaching and capture
the
> API in XML. Unless there are compelling reasons why this does not make
sense.

> Just thinking out loud and looking forward to a discussion on the issue.
>
> Sean

If I may be so bold, this sounds like a great idea to me. Producing an API
in Java is a valid approach and is more than defensible considering the
current Internet climate. However, there is also an argument to be made for
a language-independent approach (as evidenced by the discussion in this
thread). If this approach is to be favored, it seems to me to make far more
sense to develop a generalized DTD for API specifications and make the
specification itself in XML. This would have the following advantages:

1) Make a truly language-independent spec which conforms to the XML
philosophy. (I am not going to talk about the "spirit of XML". :-)
2) Produce a reusable DTD which would have significant value in its own
right.
3) Provide the perfect basis for generating documentation directly from the
API specification.
4) Ensure that every "user" has the necessary expertise to understand the
formulation of the spec. I am not sure how many people really master IDL.
Presumably anyone using XAPI will be able to read and understand XML.
5) Provide a demonstration to the outside world as to how XML can be used
to facilitate language/application independence and information reuse.

It couldn't be that hard to write a DSSSL app to produce a concrete
language implementation from the XML-based spec, right?

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew Gertner
Project Manager/Architect, Internet/Document Management
POET Software GmbH

Tel: +49 (40) 609 90254
Fax: +49 (40) 609 90115
E-mail: matthewg at poet.de