XAPI

John Tigue jtigue at datachannel.com
Tue Jun 24 21:31:09 BST 1997

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Incidentally, Alex Milowski referred to the "factory design pattern".
> Using
> design patterns as a basis for the design is really helpful, because
> there
> is a book which describes each of these patterns in detail, complete
> with
> diagrams, scenarios, etc. For instance, there are 9 pages on the
> factory
> design pattern that Alex mentioned. This makes it much easier to
> communicate
> about design choices on a high conceptual level. POET's Wildflower
> API,
> which was developed completely independently of Alex's software, also
> uses a
> design patterns approach to parse, manage, and navigate SGML documents
> in
> the document repository. I wonder if some of the rest of us are also
> design
> patterns critters?

The book is Design Patterns Element of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
by Erich Gamma, Helm, Johnson, and Vlissides (Addison-Wesley) ISBN:
0-201-63361-2 or see http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/patterns/ for a
blurb. XAPI included IXMLProcessorFactory which uses the Factory Method
pattern on page 107. Having common handles to design concepts definitely
helps the conversation and I have used Gamma et al. where I can in XAPI.

--
John Tigue
Programmer
jtigue at datachannel.com