XML Property Set

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 10:27:52 BST 1997

I think this is all useful discussion, but I also think that it's
getting too monolithic.  In our experience with using a simple API to
access a (normalised) SGML document stream, which led to our LT XML
tool, we found that most of the quick and simple tools (often
DTD-specific) we wanted to build were most easily constructed on top
of an I/O model, not and event model or a grove model.  That is, one
where the basic APPLICATION structure was

while (bit=GetBit(xmlStream)) {
   select (bit.type) {
    case startTag: ...
    case endTag: ...
    case textData: ...
    case PI: ...
   }
}

I'd be sorry to lose this level, but am not clear where it fits in the
developing picture.  Is this the 'XML Parser API'?

ht

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers