Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Mar 6 01:04:10 GMT 1997

Gavin Nicol wrote:

A catalog entry that associates per type is good, but it
does tie you to the DTD.

> My next favourite would be to have some explicit link in the
> document itself (either PI, or element).

We use that technique.  It works but the user better keep up
with the piece parts per instance.  What works better but is
even more hassle is to enable styles to be called from different
parts of the document when needed.  This should be something
implementors can experiment with.  A monolithic stylesheet
that handles multiple DTDs is also an option and works when
one is careful with the namespace.  having styles that are
local to parts of the document are useful, as you know, when
one does not want to write a complex stylesheet for documents
that have lots of context conditions.

len

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers