Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Jon Bosak bosak at atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Mar 6 05:21:05 GMT 1997

[James Clark:]

| >This is appealingly straightforward, but I wonder how well it
| >accommodates multiple stylesheets
|
| A DSSSL specification document can contain any number of distinct style
| specifications: it can also contain links to other DSSSL specification
| documents.

That's what I thought, but I haven't tried it yet.

| >and stylesheets that use other
| >notations (CSS, for example).
|
| Use another extension.

Yes, but then how do you determine precedence if both foo.dsl and
foo.css are found?  That's why I said that a way out (admittedly not a
very good one) would be to default to DSSSL for the time being.

| Another possibility I forgot to mention is to have a parameter on the
| Content-Type header field:

| This is only going to work in the context of HTTP.

Well, HTTP delivery is what I'm trying to get set up.

| The type of the stylesheet could be indicated by its Content-Type, and
| the client could use content-type negotiation to ensure it gets the
| kind of stylesheet it can handle.  Somebody should probably register a
| MIME content-type for DSSSL style sheets as well.

Both the xml and dsssl content-type registrations are hanging right
now for lack of time to deal with the IANA paperwork.  I'd be glad to
hand these off to any individual or ad hoc working group with
experience in MIME type registration.

Jon

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers