Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Gavin Nicol gtn at ebt.com
Fri Mar 7 13:52:03 GMT 1997

>>>So if we are going to use a catalog entry (and I'm not yet convinced
>>>this is the best solution) I would suggest having a simple DSSSL entry
>>>which looks like:
>>>
>>>DSSSL spec.dsl
>>
>>The problem with this is that it is application specific. How do I
>>tell a browser that DSSSL === DSSSL Stylesheet?
>
>I don't see your point at all.  Why do you need to tell the browser? The
>browser knows that the DSSSL keyword in the catalog designates a DSSSL
>specification (it could include transformation specs as well as stylesheets)
>the same way it knows that the SGMLDECL entry designates an SGML
>specification, and the same way it would know that a type of
>dsssl-specification in a SEMANTICS entry

My point is that you are proposing adding an extension that is not
standardised or generalised. Given that we all agree that a DSSSL
keyword should be supported, there isn't much of a problem, though
I would prefer adding some descriptive label to it.

SEMANTICS is a more general solution: you could use it for
CSS or whatever else you wanted/supported.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers