Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Mon Mar 10 14:33:36 GMT 1997

At 17:56 10/03/97 +0900, ksaito at flab.fujitsu.co.jp wrote:
>James Clark <jjc at jclark.com> wrote...
>>>If my understanding is correct "type" in above example is not
>>>SGML attribute and SGML parser will not recognize it as attribute.
>>>Is this correct?
>>
>>Right.  Just like "version" in the XML PI that starts every SGML document.
>
>Then, we need a PI parser in addtion to a SGML parser, don't we ?

Any use of PIs requires that the application interpret the contents of the
PI.  If you make the syntax of the PI the same as XML start-tags, then you
may be able to use your XML parser to parse them.  (It would handy if XML
parsers provided a function that parsed a string like the contents of a
start-tag.)

James

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers