Style and read-only [was: Which style first?]

Terry Allen tallen at sonic.net
Mon Mar 10 15:40:43 GMT 1997

Jon responds to Kazumi Saito:
| | About well-formed XML document which has no DTD, it is not so bad that
| | such document has style-sheet or pointer to style-sheet for
| | portability, I think.
|
| For XML this will be the typical case.  Typical XML documents
| transmitted over the Web will not have DTDs and will have to point to
| (or include) one or more stylesheets that are intended to be used with
| them.

My question is perhaps off-topic here on xml-dev, and I know everyone
is busy preparing for WWW6, but I ask you all to reflect on it as
an issue that needs resolution later on:  What do I do to associate
a style sheet with a read-only document, e.g., one that resides on
some other server than my own, or that has been digitally signed?
(And assume that this document has a doctype declaration already.)

Regards,
  Terry Allen    Electronic Publishing Consultant    tallen[at]sonic.net
       specializing in Web publishing, SGML, and the DocBook DTD
                   http://www.sonic.net/~tallen/
  A Davenport Group Sponsor:  http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers