Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

lee at sq.com lee at sq.com
Tue Mar 18 23:27:41 GMT 1997

> > Remember our dirty perl hacker and the graduate student who is supposed
> > to be able to write an XMLparser in a week?  That was a big goal initially.
>
> THe desperate perl hacker was someone trying to write a perl script to
> do some basic data massaging to some marked up XML.  We never had as a
> goal that someone could write an XML parser in perl.

I neither said that nor implied it.

> As far as the grad student, I believe we were giving them two weeks to
> write an XML parser.

I think it varied -- the main point was that it wasn't 3 months, I think,
and the language has to be straight-forward, simple and self-contained
enough the the grad student _wants_ to do the parser.

> Finally, let's not die on our own sword here.  The main goal is to have
> XML be widely accepted.  A subgoal of that is to make it relatively
> easy to write an XML parser, but it still has to be worthwhile to
> write that parser in the first place, or we've lost the war.

Yes, that's true, I agree.

Lee

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers