CATALOGs and stylesheets

David Durand dgd at cs.bu.edu
Wed Mar 19 18:19:19 GMT 1997

  There was a proposed CATALOG extension (even imnplemented, I think) for a
DOCUMENT(?) keyword that stated the starting for which the catalog applies.
With delegation this presents an alternative mechanism that will not be
fooled by mytery URLs. Each document with "attachments" has a catalog that
gives its URL and gives its DTD and stylesheet(s). Delegation is used to
make catalog management bearable for files that share public Identifiers,
so that common stuff resides in a common catalog.

   Then the URL that you send is the CATALOG URL, not the document URL --
and you get a whole directory of the stuff you might need, with the
potential for any mapping you want from URIs to URLs.

   I'm not a CATALOG zealot, but it's an approach that bears consideration.

  -- David

David Durand              dgd at cs.bu.edu  \  david at dynamicDiagrams.com