CATALOGs and stylesheets

David Seibert dseibert at sqwest.bc.ca
Wed Mar 19 19:07:29 GMT 1997

That sounds great, and mixes well with the PI approach.  Authors who want a
simple approach can just enclose the stylesheet URL in a PI inside the XML
document.  More sophisticated authors can do the same, and then label the
entire document with a single catalog URL, and the separate chunks with
different URLs.  (I haven't read the CATALOG extension, so I hope that I am
interpreting David's remarks correctly).

The sophisticated server could give the full catalog entry to sophisticated
clients, who would negotiate what to send; they would then presumably parse
the PI (they need to do this to deal with simple servers) and realize that they
already had the stylesheet.  Unsophisticated clients could just get the XML
text by default if they requested the base document, and  then request the
remaining chunks that they wanted.  Thus, the presence of the catalog could
be made transparent to unsophisticated clients.

This separation of the PI and catalog mechanisms (keeping one internal to
the XML document and the other external) allows simple clients and servers to
peacefully coexist with sophisticated ones, with graceful degradation of
functionality.  It's probably more appropriate as well, since clients
sophisticated enough to deal with the catalog should realize that the
document is really the whole collection of files, not just the XML file.  Is there
a compelling argument to make catalogs visible to users?

Regards,

David Seibert