</> as end tag

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Sun Nov 2 01:45:01 GMT 1997

While looking over the release notes for the 31 October 97 version of the Java
MSXML parser, I noticed that they've added a 'feature' that allows for 'Short
end tags,' using </>.  This won't be too difficult to implement, perhaps, but
it seems like an odd break with XML's (so far) rather strict rules for start
and end tags, particularly 3.1 of the 7 August 97 Working Draft:

>The end of every element may (for elements which are not empty, must) be
marked by an end-tag containing >a name that echoes the element's type as
given in the start-tag...
>Well-Formedness Constraint - GI Match:
>The Name in an element's end-tag must match that in the start-tag.

Is this something new going on with the spec, or is it just Microsoft?  It
looks like they fixed a lot of the bugs, but this may introduce some new
problems.  (They also allow ampersands in PCDATA, as long as they're 'not
followed by a valid name character.)  It seems a little early for XML to begin
fragmenting.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/standards/xml/xmlchgs.htm.

Simon St.Laurent

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)