</> as end tag

Chris Lovett clovett at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 3 01:27:10 GMT 1997

This is totally optional and experimental.  The only rational is that for
large documents or documents with long tag names, this saves a lot of bytes.
Think of it as a kind of compression technique that would only be enabled
when both ends of the pipe can handle it.

As for the ampersands, this is a real problem.  We found with our experience
with CDF that customers just can't handle putting &amp; inside their URL's.
We want to comply with XML standards, but we also want XML to be successful
in the marketplace.  One area that we didn't compromise is with case
sensitivity.  The new parser is fully case sensitive - but with a switch
that sets it back to case insensitive for those people that are reading XML
that was generated before case sensitivity was decided.  You have to make
some tough compromizes sometimes.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)