RMD: required versus optional parsing?

Arjan Loeffen Arjan.Loeffen at let.ruu.nl
Thu Nov 6 12:38:00 GMT 1997

Dear reader,

should I interpret the RMD='NONE' to mean:

1) parsing the DTD is optional; no need to parse it in order to process
the instance

2) the DTD must not be parsed, as
      - the instance holds all information you need for a correct
interpretation
      - it may affect the interpretation of the instance
      - it may contain errors
      - it may not exists

Section 2.10 of the aug. 7, 1997 draft I have before doesn't make this
clear to me.

Related to this: does 'parsing' in this sense mean building up an
auxiliary information structure (DOM-like), or just determining the
validity of (syntax of) the declaration sets? cf.:

<?XML VERSION="1.0" RMD="NONE">
<!DOCTYPE ABC [hello]>
<ABC>...</ABC>

Should this 'parse'?

A reference to a previous XML discussion or any other explanatory text
is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Arjan Loeffen