XML processing experiments

Richard Tobin richard at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 17:24:14 GMT 1997

> Ok. My current design will first return PCData="x", then entity ref="foo",
> and (if the client want entities expanded: PCData="a" followed by
> EmptyElement="b" and then PCData="c".)
> ie it may return two consecutive PCData's, with perhaps some
> EntityExpansionStart and -End signals between them.
> (Is this design flawed?)

This is reasonable, it's just not what we wanted to do, because we
have existing programs (which previously processed "normalised SGML")
which (a) expect to see all entities fully expanded and (b) expect to
see pcdata including references put together into a single bit.  For
example, our grep-like program should match the example when searching
for the text "xa".

-- Richard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)