How best to represent unrepresentable characters in NAME toke ns?

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 14 22:06:05 GMT 1997

Thank you all for the suggestions you have made to me (many privately)
regarding this question.  Here is the policy I intend to follow and to
recommend:

Sometimes you will want to use a character in a name, but that character is
not an XML NameChar.  In that case, encode it, using a sequence such as
"_#xHHHH_" where "HHHH" is a hexadecimal rendition of the Unicode character.
For example "Two Words" would encode as "Two_#x0020_Words".  Such encoding
(and subsequent decoding) is an application function, not part of the XML
specification per-se.

(This is the closest mapping I could make to using character entities in
names.)

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL at microsoft.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)